1971 mecury 7.5 water intake?

banshee11

Recruit
well hopefully a quick question. i was given the above mentiond motor from a friend it is my second outboard motor. it starts and runs fine but it does not exhaust water. the problem is (not to sound stupid) i cannot find where the water is suposed to enter the lower unit. i orderd a manual (should be here in a week) but those of you who have kids know no child wants to wait a week to go fishing, my son is dying to go so i am trying to get a head start. any help would be great.

Laddies

Banned
Re: 1971 mecury 7.5 water intake?

It intakes through a round hole in the bottom of the cavitation plate with a lovered cover to keep the junk out.

banshee11

Recruit

thanks alot i wonderd, but my other motor had side ports so it was a little different. i cleand the intake still not taking in water so it looks like i need to check the impeller still any advice would be great. thanks again.

Laddies

Banned

It sounds like impeller time, when you tear it down, if the impeller has broken up try to get all the pieces out of the system as the old pieces will plug the system and then you have to remove the power head.