Replacing the floor of a fiberglass boat

anthony7

Cadet
Ok so I haven't bought the boat yet and I don't know a terrible amount about the interior of boat however, I do work at an auto garage so I'm sure I can get the body to look good. What I'm most worried about is the floor boards of my boat to be. I know the stringers need to be solid and foamed underneath but my biggest concern is water getting under the floor boards how can I prevent this? would simply buying marine grade plywood and cutting it to fit into it snugly and then using an epoxy fiberglass resin in between the boards as well as where it meets the fiberglass do the job?

I'm sorry if this has been asked before I couldn't find anything that directly talked about this. THanks!

seaman campbell

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Replacing the floor of a fiberglass boat

Ummm. Deck or sole not floor...simply coat the underside of the deck with resin or epoxy and allow to soak in, may need several coats, don't forget the edges, install and fasten, apply cloth and mat with plenty of resin to the entire deck,be sure to overlap the old fiberglass edge, presto a deck that will last longer than you own the boat.

TC

BTW, Welcome to iboats...

seaman campbell

Chief Petty Officer

Looks like this

DSCN0604.jpg

DSCN0605.jpg

anthony7

Cadet

Sorry dont exactly have the boat lingo down yet :p Thanks for the info tho cant wait to try it out.

anthony7

Cadet

Any recommendations from anyone on the fiberglass epoxy/resin?

seaman campbell

Chief Petty Officer

Search the forum. Fiberglass/epoxy/poly resin you will find tons of information.

I did the search for you it is here

You can buy the stuff from US Composites

TC

special_kaye

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Any recommendations from anyone on the fiberglass epoxy/resin?

I've used System 3 stuff before and love it. I'm working up another order for them right now. Nope, I don't use the polyester stuff. When I want something to stick, I want it to STICK. And, it's not pea green....