'71 9.5 Johnson

allenayres83

Recruit
I have a 1971 9.5 horse johnson model 9r71r. Mechanic said he cleaned carb but I am not sure how thorough he was. Motor will run fine as long as I squirt gas in carb but it dies as soon as I stop. There was some leaks in the fuel lines which I will be replacing today. I also tried squeezing primer bulb to keep it running but that did not seem to work. Any advice?

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Re: '71 9.5 Johnson

Pumping the bulb should keep it running despite fuel line leaks or defective fuel pump.
If operating the choke or spraying gas in direct will keep it running then suspect that the carb is not properly cleaned. Take it back. Ask to see it running in a test tank next time.

Rick.

Captain

Sounds like the needle valve is stuck shut. I would not have a mechanic do a carb. cleaning but if I did and wasn't happy with it I would let him have another go at it. At no charge of course. If you don't see that as on option go to the "Top Secret File " at the top of this forum. There are good instructions in there about adjusting your carb. (cleaning your carb. too) which could also be the problem. You may need to open the low speed needle more than the mechnic did. I know I have mine (73) open between two and three turns. Best of luck. Rick.

Edit: Fix the gas line leaks first. Could be your sucking air.

allenayres83

Recruit

I put on the new gas line and still will not run without pouring gas in carb. Took apart carb and it appeared to be pretty clean. I saw somewhere on the forum to hook a line to the gas inlet on carb and blow in it when it was right side up and then upside down to see if needle valve was opening and closing. So i done that and it appeared to be moving. Sometimes it would not close completely but it seemed to be working pretty well. I also saw somewhere where it said to unhook the hose line from the carb and turn over engine to see if the pump would shoot out gas. I did this and it did not shoot out any gas. Does this mean the pump is bad and can I just replace the diaphram. Also placed the tank above motor to try to gravity feed it but still nothing. So after all of this does anyone have any other insight to the problem.
Thanks

Rick.

Captain

It seems to me there is no kit available for the 9.5 fuel pump. Is there any chance you could borrow a tank and hose from somewhere and try it? You could have a bad bulb, plugged inlet screen (in the tank), plugged fuel filter at the pump or a hose that is collapsed. You might even have a needle valve stuck in the carb. although I doubt that if it was cleaned properly. Rick.