Buying a 1997 Starcraft Fiber Boat with 3.0 Merc

Mscanon99

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi All,

I have had several boats, all outboards. I am now looking at a 1996 or 97 Starcraft 17 foot fiberglass bowrider with the 135HP Mercruiser. This boat is a one owner, always used on a small (very small - one big circle) lake not far from me. It was winterized every year by the same shop I am looking to buy it from, it was thier trade in.

I am figuring 30 per year, x 11 years = 330 hours. I can't be sure, it does not look like its been run much, the covers (Cockpit/bow) look nice, no broken snaps. Everything looks good.

My only observation was that the zinks which look like two small disks connected to the tilt/trim looked worn, maybe 10-25%. I asked the guy about this and he said for zinks to corrode, to this small degree is OK in fresh water.

Any thoughts on this boat guys?

Thanks

Mike

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Buying a 1997 Starcraft Fiber Boat with 3.0 Merc

when were the bellows, manifolds, last changed. when was the last time the outdrive was off serviced and realigned. all of this could be deferred maint.

Mscanon99

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Buying a 1997 Starcraft Fiber Boat with 3.0 Merc

To my knowledge, the bellows have not been changed out. Same for the Manifold, I was not aware there was a regular change out on these.

The shop is a Mercruiser shop, I know the boat was brought in and winterized/summerized by them. The shop is a mom/pop type of place, the guy who owns it has been there since 1972. He said he will check the boat out again to ready for sale to see if it needs anything.

Thanks