1997 25HP Mercury choke solenoid.

James R

Commander
This is an electric start remote motor.
Has a poor start up from cold. Using the primer manual system it fires up.
The carb is clean. There is a rinky dink solenoid on the top of the carb which appears to close off a small vent at the top of the carb when actuated. It operates ok from the choke switch of the ignition. Moves freely when operated removed from the carb and powered up. Seems to me that if this does not quite shut off the vent then the choke action will be poor.
Does anyone have experience of problems with this system.

Laddies

Banned
Re: 1997 25HP Mercury choke solenoid.

Your exactly right they are a rinky dink deal at best some times the end of the plungers get worn and don't seal, you can take the solenoid off and use a finger to seal the hole to see if that will start the engine, if it don't check the gasket on the top plate if it's OK try richening the idle mix to see it it will start, if you can't get it to start with all this tinkering then you are doomed to the hand primer when cold.

James R

Commander
Re: 1997 25HP Mercury choke solenoid.

Thanks Laddies. Your confirmation tells me that I am not completely crazy. Do wonder sometimes. I tried to fire it up from cold earlier but held the choke down for a few seconds before I turned the motor over and she fired up.
I suppose a new sol with a new end will fix it.
Thanks a bunch.