Help! Bent Trailer

Skook

Seaman Apprentice
Hello,

I'm new to the forum and new to boating. Recently, I purchased a 1995 Alumacraft V-14 to do some family fishing, and while walking back to my vehicle this past weekend, I noticed that my trailer is bent. The long beam, or tongue, appears to be straight, but the rear (sort of triangular-shaped) section of the trailer is obviously off-kilter, pointing toward the passenger-side of the vehicle when viewed from behind.

After getting home, I looked at my recently purchased tires (about 80 miles on them) and noticed that they are wearing abnormally along the outside edge of the tread already.

Someone at the lake said I could shim the trailer bolts where the rear pieces connect to the beam to straighten it out, but a trailer store I called said they would need to look at it and maybe "cut out" the bent section and replace it.

It's your basic lightweight galvanized trailer made for a 14' tinny, and so I'm afraid that any potential repair cost may be more than the entire trailer is worth. I also have a call in with a local auto body shop. They do have a frame straightener, but I don't know whether they would do something like this - especially at a reasonable price.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Skook

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Help! Bent Trailer

Here is a picture of the boat and trailer taken by the previous owner before I purchased it:

Boat.jpg

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hitch the trailer to you car/truck chain the trailer to a large tree. Now adjust as nessesary.

jusfloatin

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you were to measure from the tip of the tounge to the same place on both tires is the measurement the same?
Is the trailer the type where the axle can be adjusted so that the measurements could be made the same?

reelfishin

Captain

I've seen a lot of light galvanized trailers get out of shape either by running over curbs, getting one wheel hung off the end of the launch ramp, or just sloppy assembly. In most cases it's just an adjustment but many need some minor persuasion to get them right again.
First make sure the axle and springs are all attached properly, no broken hardware, and both sides are secure and attached equal distances back on each side.
The tree and chain method works on many if the frame is bent, it's pretty much a matter of pulling it back into shape a little at a time. Don't pull on the axle or springs and pad all chains and frame areas.

I had one the other day on which the axle carriage itself just came loose, on side was slid back about a foot, allowing the tires to almost hit the frame.

A few close up pics might help to determine whats up in your case too.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Yes I am.
Your not trying to pull the tree out of the ground. Pull just enough to bring the trailer back into shape.

I don't want to hijack anyone's thread, but this might be helpful to skook too.

I was thinking of somehow trying to straighten mine using jacks, but the chain & tree method might be easier/cheaper. However, what do you think:

In this photo, the axle is level, you can see that the trailer is skewed:

w-type-DSC_2652.jpg

I don't know if this method would be wise, because I looked the trailer all over and I found this crack, that runs across the top only of the steel channel. Jacks might be gentler and more controllable, and I could have the crack welded. Not sure how to proceed.

wDSC_2653.jpg

Skook

Seaman Apprentice

I forgot I posted this. I took my trailer to an auto body shop a few months ago. They put it up on the frame straightener and bent it back into shape. They charged me $80.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

I forgot I posted this. I took my trailer to an auto body shop a few months ago. They put it up on the frame straightener and bent it back into shape. They charged me $80.

Thanks for the info, I might look into that.

64osby

Admiral

Lakelover,

About the crack, if you have a welder or a friend with one, just grind it into a V, and weld, spray with cold galv and you should be good. Should take about 15 minutes.

After you get the trailer square you may want to weld some support gussets to hold the shape.

Just make sure your outside and up wind, welding galv causes fumes that can make you sick.

reelfishin

Captain

Lakelover,

Just make sure your outside and up wind, welding galv causes fumes that can make you sick.

The right answer is to grind away the galvanization near the crack as well, it'll contaminate the weld. You never want to breath or weld galvanized steel, use a respirator if you must burn the zinc coating.
I'd weld that crack first, and look for any others, then pull the frame straight by any means you wish. If you straighten it first, the crack may spread and be nearly impossible to close back up again.