door to door sales idiots

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Was annoyed by a door to door kirby salesperson tonight... (don't get many in my area) Anyway she hands my wife a bottle of some kind of cleaner as a free gift and asks if she has a moment. I say over her shoulder, no we are watching a movie. My wife says "uhhh I guess". The girl wastes no time in saying "hold on" and runs to her van and grabs her vacuum and runs for the house again ready to come in. I took over position of the door frame and held onto the collar of my very docile but scarey looking Husky. She gets halfway up the stairs and stops dead in her tracks... looks at my wife and says is it ok if we go in... I said "no we are watching a movie and I already have a vacuum. She again trys to persuade us to let her do her spiel. We said no again so she grabs the bottle of cleaner (the gift) out of my wifes hands and says do you mind if I keep this for the next person that lets me do my demonstration and leaves. Time to put vacuum salespeople in the same category as used car salesmen and lawyers.<br /><br /><br />I havent had a kirby salesmen since I lived in Southern CA. We had them come at least 2 times a month. Got to the point where I let them all in to demo. They would do their demo and take about an hour of my time and shampoo my carpet and I'd let them. Then when they told me the price I'd always look surprised and invite them to the door. :D Got my carpet cleaned about 6 times before I got tired of wasting my time. :D

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
Re: door to door sales idiots

They were pretty high pressure here too a couple of months ago.<br /><br />Their spiel was, "I will make 40 dollars, just to demo it, help me make 40 dollars." A good guilt trip.<br /><br />No thanks, slam.<br /><br />Ken

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Can you say "Jehoviah's Witness"?... :D ....JK

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

I had a "kid"(17-18 maybe) come buy trying to sell an all natural cleaner last year... Took me through his whole shu-bang cleanin this and that... kept him goin like I was really interested... So about hour and 45 later he gets to his closing.. I told him to hold on and grabbed a bottle of the stuff I bought from the good 'ol natural & Organic health food store... for a fraction of his price and the same amount.<br /><br />This past summer had from the same company as before a guy come buy. Told him if he could get the heavy oxidation off my boat I'd buy whatever it was he was selling (only cause I know it WAS NOT going to work ) he scrubbed a spot, wiped it off and blew it til dried. Tried this 3 times... got up and didn't even say bye.. just walked off

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Originally posted by KenImpZoom:<br /> They were pretty high pressure here too a couple of months ago.<br /><br />Their spiel was, "I will make 40 dollars, just to demo it, help me make 40 dollars." A good guilt trip.<br /><br />No thanks, slam.<br /><br />Ken
This one claimed $25. She's getting screwed :D

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Door to door sales-weasels?..... Ought to be legal to shoot em' dead where they stand, just on general principals, not to mention tresspasing....<br /><br />Otherwise, I don't feel too strongly about em'..... :D <br /><br />I love the sales-weasels who can't read the "NO SOLICITING" sign on the front door of my business.... "No, I don't want the steaks that have been riding around in a freezer in back of your truck, I'm happy with my current phone service provider, I have plenty of calculators, pens, watches, ect, ect, ect..........

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I gotta admire door to door sales people. At least these people get up off their duffs and meet you eye to eye with their product. This is the main reason I will never buy anything from a telemarketer. People have to make a living somehow and I would prefer them to do anything but become a criminal.

Ron G

Commander

I agree,I had one a couple years ago she was a smart one and very,very,very attractive almost sold me one.i think she was targeting just the men folk,did i mention she was attractive :D I think she sold a bunch.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Don't so much mind door to door sales, unless their selling religion......Don't get me started.. :mad: :mad:

LadyFish

Admiral

I sort of agree with Mayfloat on door-to-door sales people. <br /><br />Besides, they are just trying to make a living like the rest of us. At least they are not on the corner begging, or sitting on their duff collecting welfare.<br /><br />Its a tough job...cold calling, and getting so many rejections.

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

does this mean we have to feel bad for lawyers and used car salesmen too? cause they are just trying to put a meal on the table too.<br /><br />About the only part I agree with on the feelgood posts is that they have a job instead of being a criminal... thats it.<br /><br />I'm nice when I tell them no thanks, I'm nice when I try to step back inside. and I'm nice when I ask them to leave... then when the high pressure speach begins... i'm nice when I scream and threaten them and slam the door in their face.<br /><br />Just kidding on the whole last paragraph. I'm not really nice at all :D <br /><br /><br />-edit- I think next time they tell me to help them earn $25, I'll tell them I'll help them earn $15, gimme $10 and I'll let you in. :D

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Well I have never been compared to a door to door sales person and quite frankly I am offended. I have to give the door to door guy credit just for being gutsy.<br /><br />I sell used and new vehicles and quite a bit on the internet.... huh no pressure there! <br /><br />What type of job do you have??? I am sure people are around that don't care for what you do regardless of your profession.<br /><br />Bob

ehenry

Commander

An Electrolux salesman made the rounds though my neighborhood a long time ago and hit the jackpot. Sold 4 Silverado Delux models to the first 4 houses on the street INCLUDING MINE!!! I was so mad when I got home and found out about I went out in the front yard and saw the other guys out in the street. I went down tell them what my wife did but had to laugh when their wives did the same thing.

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Originally posted by Bob_VT:<br /> Well I have never been compared to a door to door sales person and quite frankly I am offended. I have to give the door to door guy credit just for being gutsy.<br /><br />I sell used and new vehicles and quite a bit on the internet.... huh no pressure there! <br /><br />What type of job do you have??? I am sure people are around that don't care for what you do regardless of your profession.<br /><br />Bob
I'm not sorry that your offended. This wasnt a personal attack on you and if you want to think it was, I have to say you have an ego bigger than the state of texas. Or you resemble the individuals in my generalization. I had a used car salesman try to sell me a car for 16000.. wouldnt be talked down a penny under 15,599. Found that very car advertised on the internet at 14,998. <br /><br />I'm sure there's quite a few that dont like my profession however I'm not knocking on their doors at their private property either.<br /><br />Oh and I'm still entitled to my opinion.
3.gif

BassCat73

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have an inside view of Kirby salesmen. When I was younger I was enticed to sign up and become a salesman for them when I was 18. I have to say, first, Kirby's are good vacuums, but I can't give Kriby much more credit than that. I was taught to target certain types of neighborhoods. Don't try and sell to the rich folk, they don't buy. They went to people who couldn't really afford a $1000 vacuum and tried selling it to them. Lots of gimics and tactics were used. Sneak attacks, get yourself in the door and don't leave. Hard sales tactics for people who weren't even looking for a vacuum in the first place. They also had a large amount of room to play with as far as the cost of the vacuum. Starting price for complete set including shampooer was like $1500 or something like that (this was back in the early 90s). But, to make quotas, you could actually sell the vacuum for a few hundred and still make a small profit for yourself. I left after a week or two. I couldn't respect myself working for a company like that with those kind of values. I don't believe everyone who works for them is a Schtinker, but I severely question the methods and morals that I was being taught in the time that I was there.

Barbee Q

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by J.kopec:<br /> Can you say "Jehoviah's Witness"?... :D ....JK
Speeking of the above mentioned: they visit our country neighborhood twice a year.. <br />A friend told me if you see them coming, just strip down to your birthday suite and answer the door. The expession is priceless.. They then will come back and he says that hes like this all the time.. They put a big X on the house map they carry..<br />Not that I would do that of course.. I really would be afraid if they came with children.. They do that quite often..<br />I don't mind so much if they come through, but they show up when I'm working on cars or doing something that is time consuming and they never want to help.. Now that is annoying.. Busy outside with grease all over and you have a savyer trying to teach you the word of god according to the beleifs of a rewritten bible that only suits their own purpose in life..God has a plan, just pass me the wrench, I'm listening.. I now find the dirtest spot on my car and make sure they too get a little dirty themselves as I reach out to shake their hand.. Thinking to myself.. Did god intend you to get dirty today saving my eternal soul.. NOPE... I usually make it clear on my veiws and choices and they move on.. Some are really quite nice to talk too.

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

Yeah it is a lot better than collecting welfare... Sales often pays more than many jobs that reqire 4-6 years college degree.<br /><br />I would much rather have them come to my door than to call me. And I would much rather cold call than recieve welfare...Pay scale aside.<br /><br />The people you meet that ya get along with far outweigh the rejectin and anger and is actually can be quite fun. And the hours are fantastic!!<br /><br />I also understand your sentiment...I just don't understand you letting it get under your skin.<br /><br />Just say no and go on about your day, dont dwell and get angry, that will only eat on you and make ya miserable and only hurts your family and gives ya high blood pressure <br /><br /> ;)

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Oh I realize it was not a direct personal attack! ... and opinions well we all have them. :D <br /><br />When you consider it from "outside the box" people who come on car lots are there to look and they go from lot to lot to lot ...kinda kin to a door to door salesman! :eek: <br /><br />As for the vacuum salespeople.... well I installed central vac in my home about 15 years ago! ;) <br /><br />Door to door salespeople don't frequent my area it is too rural.... :cool:

cpj

Ensign

Originally posted by Wimperdink:<br />
Originally posted by Bob_VT:<br /> Well I have never been compared to a door to door sales person and quite frankly I am offended. I have to give the door to door guy credit just for being gutsy.<br /><br />I sell used and new vehicles and quite a bit on the internet.... huh no pressure there! <br /><br />What type of job do you have??? I am sure people are around that don't care for what you do regardless of your profession.<br /><br />Bob
I'm not sorry that your offended. This wasnt a personal attack on you and if you want to think it was, I have to say you have an ego bigger than the state of texas. Or you resemble the individuals in my generalization. I had a used car salesman try to sell me a car for 16000.. wouldnt be talked down a penny under 15,599. Found that very car advertised on the internet at 14,998. <br /><br />I'm sure there's quite a few that dont like my profession however I'm not knocking on their doors at their private property either.<br /><br />Oh and I'm still entitled to my opinion.
3.gif
Im with you 100% Dink! I can be nice, untill they continue asking me after I have said no.No means no.Not maybe.<br />PS ummm, dink,ummm working on mini boats and posting to I boats is not a profession. :p