Smaller Kicker Engine??

RickV1955

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just looking for some general information.

Just got done reading a threat on "helping other boaters" - towing stranded boaters in, to be exact.

Just wondering how many boaters out there had some kind of smaller "kicker" engine on their boats for emergencys?
How practical is this? Is it something that could be done fairly simply?

I plan on boating in the Gulf (Florida) - going out 15-20 miles would probably not be an uncommon occurance.
I have a 2005 Center Console Proline with a 115 Mercury Outboard....it's all in good shape (in fact still has some warranty left). I also have a ship-to-shore radio, a GPS, and towing on my insurance.
I'm sure that a trolling motor wouldn't be of any help in this type of situation, no would a paddle....lol.

Does anyone actually have a smaller engine mounted on their boat along side the big engine......

Just curious??

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: Smaller Kicker Engine??

A lot of people have kicker motors. You can use them for trolling, instead of the main outboard and save lots of fuel. They can also get you out of serious trouble if the main engine quits on you.

There are mounts available that will raise the motor out of the water when not in use, and those are very popular.

What size? You need an outboard large enough to push your boat at displacement speed, especially if you are going offshore very far. It all depends on your boat, but 9.9 and 15 hp outboards are popular and work well on most trailerable fishing boats.

One other tip: Give the kicker its own fuel supply. If something goes wrong with your fuel, or it becomes contaminated, you'll need a separate fuel source. A 6 gallon tank will take you a long way with those kickers.

Finally, if you do install one, it should be started and warmed up every time you go out, either at the dock or after launching. You also must flush the outboard after each trip if you start it.

GrindKore

Petty Officer 1st Class

It's a very common setup here in Great Lakes region. Typically people have secondary 9.9HP kicker for trolling and emergency purposes. My transom is not large enough to fit second motor. With my next boat I will defiantly be shopping for a nice kicker to accompany my main motor.

However, my buddy has 9.8 Tohatsu kicker on his 22' center console and it pushes his boat 5-6 MPH fully loaded in 2' chop on lake Erie. So it will defiantly get you home. Also its perfect for trolling because it uses very little gas compared to 250HP Merc and you can slow down to 1 MPH for a slow troll, no need for sea anchors.

RickV1955

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Definately something that I'm going to look into.

Is the kicker usually tied to the main engine (re steering it)?

Have to check my boat and see if there's room for a kicker on it......it's a 19' Proline center console.

GrindKore

Petty Officer 1st Class

Definately something that I'm going to look into.

Is the kicker usually tied to the main engine (re steering it)?

Have to check my boat and see if there's room for a kicker on it......it's a 19' Proline center console.

It depends, I?m sure there is a way to hookup steering and throttle, however this will overcomplicate things. Most people use tiller handle to control the kicker. When trolling we just lock the tiller handle in place and putt along. For emergency purposes you would want completely independent steering mechanism and fuel supply anyhow. What if your steering cable breaks, or becomes inoperable? You can still maneuver your boat using kicker motor with tiller handle. For fuel just hookup portable 6Gal tank, it will last for at least 4hours at WOT and all day trolling.

The only thing I would get is a battery selector switch to allow you kicker to recharge your main battery. This is important if you are trolling all day and using fish finders, run radio, or use any electric appliances on your boat when main motor is turned off.

gss036

Commander

Boating in the salt chuck is dangerous at best, running w/o a kicker in the salt water is bad enough w/ big tides flowing both ways and if your main engine dies, you need something to keep you off the rocks and get you home. I have come home on the kicker several times or the past 20+ years because of engine problems, mainly throwing a rod or blowing a piston or electrical problems.
Then again that is my opinion.

Expidia

Commander

Good info noted so far . . . I have a 2006 9.9 Merc 4 stroke I've been saving to use on my 2nd boat purchase (a 22 footer). You might want to look at a 15 hp though. The 9.9 and the 15 are the same head I think. If I were stranded 15 miles out on the ocean I'd opt for the 15 hp.

If money is not an issue, might as well get power trim and electric start. You can use a connecting rod for steering from the helm and if your steering gives out just disconnect it and use the tiller handle.

My 9.9 does not have an alternator, so if you are buying a new one anyway I would get what you want the first time around. It's cheaper in the long run than trying to add an alternator or power trim later. Those brackets are OK, but it won't cost that much more to go first class. Going 15-20 miles out on the ocean in my opinion, is not the time to look to cut costs on equipment that will save your life and the lives of your guests.

I'd even get a back up VHF, a handheld and one of those emergency locators to keep in a ditch bag. Keep one of those roll up inflatables in a bag on board.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I have a 4HP that stores nicely under my bow. I think just having it there keeps my old 85HP running. I'm going to look into getting an EZ steer or something like that this year to be able to steer it with the main motor.

RickV1955

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Some interesting information.

My boat is a 2005 Proline center console with a 115 Merc.
It doesn't have a "kicker" (yet, anyway...lol).
I just bought the boat in March of this year (and am not back up north - can't wait to get back down to FLA to take it out again)

I do have to say that I haven't really seen a lot of boats around that have "kickers" (at least that I've seen mounted on the boats) - If a small engine would fit, I do think maybe a small engine stored in the boat for emergencies? Don's know how hard it would be to actually mount it if there was an emergency situation?

See a lot of single engine boats that go out fishing without (an apparent) kicker on board.
As a new boater - and planning to go out (at times) 15-20 miles.....wouldn't want to be stranded out there with no engine - adrift.....could ruin your day...lol.

Maybe I should add a "poll" to see how many boaters use kickers??

RickV1955

Petty Officer 2nd Class

By the Way.....

Does anyone know if/how I can add a "poll" to this thread?

Or would I have to start a new thread??

andymach23

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Isn't there an issue with storing 4-stroke motors on their side, due to the sump?

That would cause problems if the motor was stashed away on-board.

If its on the transom on a bracket at least its the right way up.

Or get a used 2-stroke maybe!

capt sam

Master Chief Petty Officer

you're right Rick, you don't see many if any boats with kickers here. I've had alot of boats but never used one, I don't think it's a bad idea, anything that gets you home is good. I'm not sure why they never really caught on here, I know some guys won't turn their motors off when they're way offshore for fear of it not restarting, I don't believe that's a good solution either.

saumon

Lieutenant

I have one too on a 17ft aluminum fishing boat: the main engine is a 60hp and i have a 8hp beside, both 2-strokes, but i don't really use it as a kicker. As i boat mostly on the St Lawrence seaway (lots of current), the main purpose of the auxiliairy engine is for safety.

A couple of times in the last years i had problem with the 60hp (electr. and destroyed w/p). The kicker brought me back home. The kicker has it's own portable fuel tank (premix) while the 60hp use the fixed tank (pure gasoline, oil injected). Each time i go out, i take care to start the 8hp and use it at least 5 min, for peace of mind.