2000 115 Johnson Ocean Pro

salmonee

Chief Petty Officer
What's the overall consensus on Johnson Motors? I'm looking at a 18' boat w/ a 115 ocean pro on it? I've been researching for the past year and if it aint a yamaha or honda, I feel uneasy. First boat. Getting a mechanical check but want to know long term perspective.

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: 2000 115 Johnson Ocean Pro

Well, since you didn't give the model number, is it a carburetted engine? I know Evinrude made some fuel-injected 115's in 200, but the Johnson I looked at on the BRP parts site was carburetted, so I don't know if there were injected Johnsons.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

2000 Was not the best year for Johnnys. Middle of the transition from OMC to Bombardier. There were some initial build quality problems and there were the FICHT RAM DFI problems.

That said, an engine that is still in service 9 years later has probably had any of those issues resolved and has fallen back on the basic engineering of the JohnnyRude 60* looper V4s. That basic engineering is superb.

Remember, Johnson outboards were "putting" your grandfather and me around long before Honda and Yamaha were putting motors on bicycles.

CATransplant

Admiral

OK. I went back to the BRP site, and it appears that all the Johnson 115 hp models had carburetors, rather than fuel injection. Those carburetted V-4s have a pretty darned good reputation.

As with all other outboards, you need to do a thorough check of the engine. An on-water test would also be a very good idea, and can, in some cases, substitute for a mechanic check. If the owner has maintenance records, that's a good thing, and you should check them out before buying.

Bottom line is that it's 9 years old, and you need to make sure it runs well before forking over your bucks. If it's been well-maintained, it should continue to be a reliable powerplant, as long as you continue to maintain it properly.

CATransplant

Admiral

JB,

I went to the BRP parts site and looked at every Johnson 115 that was sold in North America. All were carburetted. So I'm confused. I know that Evinrude had injected engines that year, but I can't find one in the Johnson line.