Results of engine swap

coastalcruiser

Chief Petty Officer
Originally had a 888 mercruiser with 302pre alpha in my 23' 74 Bayliner Nisqually.
I replaced it with a 5.7 Volvo Penta Duoprop with SS F4 propset

Now that i'm all finished i want to thank Don S for all the help.
Don, your advice has been very helpful and really appreciate it.

The boat runs great! starts without pumping the gas in neutral. Gears don't grind. I was having problems with shifting.
No more ugly exhaust smell, way less noise, almost no vibration.
the acceleration is unbelievable with no hesitation.

Cruising speed was 25 mph @ 3500 rpm Now its 27mph at 3000 rpm
Top speed is 43mph at 4600 rpm

This is a quote from don and the reason for this post
Wow, is that boat in for a change. You WILL NOT believe how different the boat will be. I sure hope you post the results after you run it.
It's actually an LK model, (96-97 production years). I assume the manual you are talking about is for the outdrive correct? If so, it's close, but not the right one. What kind of information are you looking? Installatiion?
The SN you gave is for the outdrive, might want to check and see if the serial number for the engine itself is actually 4110149185

coastalcruiser

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Results of engine swap

I always like it when people post back results of the advice given on these forums so here are a couple photos :)
4000 rpms

Friday morning Newcastle Island
Image050.jpg

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

SWEET!!! Congrats!! Nice job and you should get many good years out of that engine and drive...:D

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the acceleration is unbelievable with no hesitation.

Cruising speed was 25 mph @ 3500 rpm Now its 27mph at 3000 rpm
Top speed is 43mph at 4600 rpm

Love it :D :D

Let me know when you want to go back to a Mercruiser Alpha type with a single prop. :rolleyes:

coastalcruiser

Chief Petty Officer

Well done guy, well done indeed. And thanks for sharing the finished product. Also looked like the dog was happy to be under power again. I lost my 12 year old German Shepard this winter and boating just is not going to be the same without him.

Oh, one tiny, itty bitty thing. Thats not just an engine swap, its a complete refit. If you ever decide to sell it, thats how I would advertise it. ;)

After reading that I had to show ya the front end, I had a husky for 14 years and I know EXACTLY how you feel man.

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

coastal c; looks like you got a pretty good swap. i bought my boat against the advice of don here and now i am paying for it.
i need to to the same with my alpha 1 drive but have a good motor so am looking for a bravo 3 transom ***. and drive as i think sticking with mercruiser will be easier. any advice on pit falls you ran into, things not to do or things to be sure and do, as well as any sorces you found that are good to work with would be much appicated. there is'nt any thing like talking to some one with first hand experience.

coastalcruiser

Chief Petty Officer

if you have alpha 1 then the Volvo I have will fit right in.
My package came with everything and made it easy to switch over and nothing better than new wiring:) now my horn works for example.
I sold the old package complete and that reduced the purchase price, made my job easier and less hassle
And with Don on your side how can ya go wrong?:rolleyes: