Ratio?

beckspop

Seaman
Alright, Let me start by saying this is a stupid question, but what exactly is 50:1? Say I have a 6gal tank, how much oil do I add? The man who was spost to teach me this stuff passed away from cancer so nobody to ask!:confused:

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Ratio?

The 50:1 gas to oil ratio we all recommend for some outboard engines is really 48:1. . . 48 pints (6 gallons) of gas to one pint of TC-W3 outboard oil.

When mixing fuel in large quantities we actually try to get exactly 50:1. Back when marinas carried "Premix" outboard fuel that is what you got for some outrageous price.

Self oiling outboards are so common now that I haven't seen a marina offering Premix in years. That means if you have disabled the oil injection on your large outboard and have a large, built-in tank you need to calculate how much oil to add when you have pumped gas into that large tank. Many TC-W3 oil containers have charts printed on them to "look up" how much oil is needed for a given amount of gas.

As much as we fuss about ratios and as many shadetree geniuses as we have recommending some off-the-wall ratio they are not critical. You are not going to blow your engine up if you happen to mix up 60:1 or 40:1, but you should get the best results in the end by using what the maker specifies.