Crappie Fishing in Ohio

Fisherdave67

Seaman Apprentice
The water temp should be close this coming weekend here in central Ohio. Anybody have tricks of the trade for catching slabs that they want to share?

I'll be that little 64 sea nymph tucked behind the island, please idle down when you see me.

Good fishin everyone......see ya at the ramp.

Starcraftguy1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Crappie Fishing in Ohio

Green submersable light,#6 Eagle Claw Aberdeen hook,slip bobber,6 lb. Yosorie Hybrid line,1/4 oz. split shot 1 foot above hook.Then look for a lot of boats,or if you have a fishfinder a Christmas tree looking formation of fish.Look for submersed trees or rocks,and hold on.1 rod only,when they start biting is too hard to handle 2.Live minnows,very lively to begin with,once you find the fish use the dead ones.It does'nt matter once you are on them.

beerfilter

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here in TN they are moving into the bushes , between the storms , that is .

Below ~54 Farenheit they stay deep off point and submerged structure .
Above 55 , they start moving shallow , moving into bays and creek mouths , and , start heading for the bushes ~ 58 degrees .

A good assortment of tube jigs , maribous , roadrunners , and even small lipless crankbaits will give you all you need . For live bait , shiners or tuffies , along with a dozen or so red worms .

Colors and sizes are often more dictated by regional/local preferences , although the 6 primary colors of chartruese , white , red , yellow , black , and , blue , will get you close . Sizes of 1/64th - 1/8th oz .

Crappie are notoriously finnicky , and will switch preferences for size , color , retrieve speed , action , almost hourly .
When you find a hot ticket , ride it out , but , be prepared to switch up when they suddenly stop biting .

Number 1 rule is they ALWAYS look up , so fish 1" to deep and they will ignore your bait . Start shallow and slowly go deeper in 1' increments in clear water , 6" at a time in stained water .

6-8 lb test is fine , heavier if they are in the bushes and you are using a dipping pole .

Good luck !

muskie hunter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Two lakes that produce 10+ inch crappie all the time are Alum Creek and Delaware lake.

Steve

Fisherdave67

Seaman Apprentice

I stay away from Alum, unlimited horsepower causes my 14' 9.9 to be a bobber come noonish when I'm getting out. I've been fishing Hoover for 20 plus years. Water temp is still low fifties, not great, I'll start off fishing 25' plus this weekend. I'm looking forward to 60 degree water.

muskie hunter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I stay away from Alum, unlimited horsepower causes my 14' 9.9 to be a bobber come noonish when I'm getting out. I've been fishing Hoover for 20 plus years. Water temp is still low fifties, not great, I'll start off fishing 25' plus this weekend. I'm looking forward to 60 degree water.

Go to the Howard road boat ramp its way up into the no wake zone. Go straight across and run the bank north and south. Many trees in the water and lots of crappie. Absolutly no rough water that far north.

Steve

jennis9

Petty Officer 1st Class

are you on OGF? the guys at ohiogamefishing dot com are more than willing to help you out as well.

woosterken

Lieutenant

go to you tube and check out fishnwithjoe he is there in columbus, and fishes the scio river

woosterken

getinmerry

Petty Officer 1st Class

I spent 4 days Crappie fishing here in NY over the long weekend. I know of a private little harbor that they come into to spawn every spring. The last few years they were in so heavy that you could walk across them. They would bite on a split shot clamped to a hook (actually did this to prove it to my father). We took our limit in less than an hour.

This year, it's a different story. They're in there. I can see them lying on the bottom, but the numbers are WAY down (although the fish are averaging 12"-14" instead of the usual 8-10"). Last Friday I was able to fill my limit in about 6 hours with some of the biggest Crappie I've ever seen. The next 3 days I was only able to get about 2-3 fish each day in that same 6 hours. I used everything in my tackle box and still no luck. I was literally bopping them on the nose with the jigs and still couldn't get them to even swim away.

I'm hoping that the warmer weather on the horizon will stimulate them more soon.

PrplGld

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Good info thread guys, thanks. Anyone know of a good video, youtube or otherwise, of the proper use of jigs for sac-a-lait (or crappie if I must)? If possible, I'd like to see some under-water shots of how a jig is properly used.

Thanks for any help.

woosterken

Lieutenant

check on amazon.com type in in-fisherman crappie.
I have the one called crappie tactics for lakes and reservoirs
and there are others.

hope this helps

woosterken

Fisherdave67

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks, I'll also check out that "Crappie Tactics for Lakes and Reservoirs"
:)

bigred69

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Caught two crappie and a carp last Tuesday. Was out all day. A little too windy for lindy riggin. Caught em slow trolling with a two hook and leader setup.

Fisherdave67

Seaman Apprentice

Water just turned 65, light rain for the next two days, that will keep the weekenders off the ramps. Water's still high, can't wait for tomorrow morning, if I was a yonger man, I wouldn't wait. I'll let you know how I do.......

bigred69

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Water temp was only 45. They where sitting about 10 ft in 20 ft water.

Fisherdave67

Seaman Apprentice

Water was wayyyyy up, the out of the way state dock was put into place two weeks ago. It was four feet away from the ecge of the water. Fish we're still deep even though the water was 65 degrees, I was only out a couple hours and I moved several times catching only four. Talk at the ramp resulted with every one catching small numbers. I'm going camping next weekend, the state park's body of water is electric only. I'll see what I can do there.

gonfishn

Commander

I have some friends(ole timers) here in Southern Ohio that are gettn nice slabs at Paint Creek. They kind of chuckle when they hear of all the fancy Crappie lures that catch fisherman more than they do fins. A minnie and a bobber is all they carry. For myself Alum Creek is my home for Musky Fishn. Their were some some lunkers takn out of there last year.

I will say this fishn for pooters cost alot less then huntn for the gator. Until your have spent at least 1 grand on lures your still considered a rookie in the Muskie club...lol..