9.5 sport twin low fwd. RPM

c.l. dale

Recruit
In fwd. the motor would go from a high idle to full bore (no inbetween). It had this tendency since I had the motor (1996). Last week I used it 3 days. 2 1/2 it ran as it always has. It now will not run faster than a high idle in fwd., but will rev to it's norn in neut. and in rev. It starts eazy 1 pull w/choke and the throttle linkage and the advance linkage appears to be working fine. It hasgood fuel flow from the pump. I don't know what year it is. The model# 9822E serial#E01195.
Chuck

Rick.

Captain
Re: 9.5 sport twin low fwd. RPM

You can look up the year in the FAQ part of the forum. Sounds like you could be running on one cylinder only. With one plug firing the motor will behave quite normal in a barrel but lack the HP required once in the water and powering the boat and load. It doesn't go to full throttle in reverse or neutral. I would check for spark by pulling the plug wires on at a time. If the motor slows down the plug is working. If the motor quits, the opposite plug is not firing. Have you had the flywheel off lately? Have the coils been replaced or are the original? You should also do a carb. kit for the no in-between condition. Best of luck. Rick.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

1967 manuals, http://www.outboardbooks.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=models.main&year=1967&ID=53104

check your compression and spark. what do your plugs look like? if they are good, compression 60psi after 5 pulls, and spark jump 3/8-1/2 inch. then is say it is time for a carb cleaning and rebuild. CARBURETOR REPAIR KIT,PART NUMBER 382048

you can see diagram for 1968 9.5 here, they are identical to 1967. http://shop2.evinrude.com/ext/index.aspx?s1=bf6ad09c53cead335fcfd8a6471c0f7f

read the TOP SECRET FILE.

c.l. dale

Recruit

Thank you gentlemen i will rechek the spark and compression on wed.
Chuck