Oil resevoir not filling

Kentucky Mark

Recruit
First of all Hello. I find this a well attended sight with endless knowledge!!!

I have a 91 200 hp EFI. My father owned this motor/boat and upon his passing I have received it. It did sit for 3 years and after I drained all the old gas and replaced the lower unit lube and plugs i went on a test run. The beeper started screaming and i found the 2 cycle oil everywhere.
Further investigation indicated the oil lines from the resevoir on top of the engine were broke where they fed into the engine. I replaced 2 different lines and tried again. still beeping. I then added oil to the resevior unit on top of the motor and all was well for a 15 minute run.

Next weekend used for one day all was well till it heated up and water pressure droped to almost 0 while idling. I had a new impeller installed.

Today took off. water psi was 15 lbs and temp reading was between 1/4 and 1/2 half. bu tthe beeper went off.

As the very first I ran it the top resevoir was low enough that the float indicated a problem. I topped of hoping that it would prime itself once full but no go 1/2 later it beeped and was low again. Then again 1/2 later. As long as I manually add to the resevoir on the motor all is well till it uses oil dropping the float to warning level.

Do I need to somehow prime the top resevoir from the main in the boat.?
The previous weekend it did pull from the main as I used it for the better part of a day and it used 1/4 tank. Is oil that is 3 years old bad and clogging a filter.

Any advice?

Thanks!

hkeiner

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Oil resevoir not filling

The below link has some good information on how the oil injection system works. The thumbnail contains a troubleshooting guide. These may help you solve your problem.

Based upon what you have described, my first two guesses are:

1)The crankcase one-way check valve is defective and not providing sufficient air pressure to the remote oil tank.

2) The cap on the remote oil tank is leaking and allowing the air to escape the system rather than letting the air pressure force oil from the remote tank into the engine oil tank under the cowl.

You can test for this by running the motor for a short while, quickly loosen the cap on the remote tank, and then listen for a puff of air escaping.

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/mercuryOilInjection.html

Attachments

• Oil system troubleshooting.jpg
    Oil system troubleshooting.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 0