what should i use to repaint fibreglass deck ?

DANGERMOUSE

Recruit
My boat is a 17ft long speed boat and needs a repaint on its deck as thje old paint is the wrong colour and is split in places and quite rough.
Should i rub it down to smooth to prepare for a respray / brush with something fresh? What treatment should i use? Something that is designed as a deck top coat and will stick.

I am seeking a smooth, resilient white finish.
The original deck was a tough gelcoat? blue and the offending paint was either gpr paint or some sort of nasty enamel.

Many thanks
Matt

Bondo

Staff member
Re: what should i use to repaint fibreglass deck ?

Ayuh,... Sand it Smooth,+ paint it.....

erikgreen

Captain

You probably don't want smooth exactly, as that will be slippery. Also choose your color carefully, bright white glares in the sun.

Prep is everything. Get the surface level and all the dings out. Remove any trim items or mask in prep for painting.

You can cover the inside of the boat with a good deck paint, probably with anti-skid, or you can use something like marine vinyl (nautolex or similar). Some people also like to get bedliner for trucks sprayed on or rolled on, and that is tough and looks pretty good.

One more thing - if you don't get a response, don't post duplicate threads, it's frowned on here :)

Erik

DANGERMOUSE

Recruit

hi.
thanks for all the great info.
by the way, i didn't post a duplicate thread. i posted the thread once from my pda in a field and it appeared twice on the forum instantly.
cheers

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

i painted my deck with this masonary paint, it is intended for sealing basement walls. Put a lil sand in it for grip. it is near the garage floor paint at lowes.

DANGERMOUSE

Recruit

that sounds like a really good idea!
thanks

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I think masonary paint, while very hard, is pretty brittle. I don't think it would hold up well in a boat.

sutherj

Cadet

Like many have said before me. PREP is everything. Beyond that a good oil based paint made for floors will be best. In this type of application rolling and brushing is preferred over spraying. You want a floor surface to have some grit to it so sand it appropriatly. Like 80 grit floor paper or something similar will do. You want it rough. Then use a roller because it will help get the paint into the rough surface. Water based paints are not good in marine applications. I'm a bit old school and I know some of the newer stuff might work but Oil and Water don't mix. That's why I strongly suggest oil based products anywhere where they may be in constant contact with water. Forgoe lowes and Home Depot. Go to a good paint store and let them help you find a good industrial or marine paint for your application.

Good Luck.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

I wonder if spilled gas would hurt oil based more, or latex based?

I imagine it is worse on oil based.

I painted an alumium boat with oil based rustolium, and it worked fine, painted the entire boat.