problems with engine? need some opinions please!!!

betayv

Senior Chief Petty Officer
hi there another question I need opinions, yesterday took the boat out, didnt take out the boat since october last year, I started the boat couple of times during those months, yesterday everything was okay on the way in to the ocean, on the way back the engine start stalling when was around 4000 rpm, I slowdown to 2500 rpn and the engine stall a little bit, but wasnt running smooth like alwasys run look like wanst getting enough gas, the first think I going to do is change my fuel water separator and the fuel filter, I already check my fuel pump and the pressure is good, carburetor was rebuilt last year around september just run the boat three times, I will put new wires, new spark plugs, new cap and rotor I have all the parts in my house so I will do a complete tune up, but what you guys think can be the problem. I need some opinions, and please dont just write to go to the manuals because I already have it just need some others opinions thanks.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: problems with engine? need some opinions please!!!

the first think I going to do is change my fuel water separator and the fuel filter,

Ayuh,... There's your Answer...

betayv

thanks you bond-o is what I was thinking too. thanks.

arks

Lieutenant Commander

How old is the gas?
Was it stabilized before putting it away for the winter?

rbh

Fleet Admiral

well
it is that time of the year when boats and mowers,weed wackers dirtbikes etc all come out and the cussing starts. 87 oct gas only really last about 3 months in a closed container before it starts to go skanky, add condinsation and freezeing weather and it dont last over a winter very well.
I try and empty as much of the tank as possible keeping as much fuel as it takes to not dry out the gaskets and orings (I run it right to empty almost and then put in a couple of gallons of fresh 91 octane, good for the winters
months for me) I guess if you live in an area such as the coast were it does not get that cold you have more of a chance for condinsation build up, try going to a snowmobile shop that sells these condinsation socks, I think they are filled with desicant? (the same stuff you find in the little bags beside your binos that absorbs moisture)
they just drop right in the fuel tank, just read the instructions.
rbh

betayv

hi there thanks again for all the help yes I put two bottles of stabil before I put the boat in storage and last week I put a sea foam too butend of theseason I will drain all the gas in tank.