Tach ?'s

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral
On my flybridge helm, my tach is so old the face of the dial is all rusted. It still works, but is very ugly. I have a couple of parts boats and thought I would just switch out the tach with one of those.

I pulled the one out and find that I have 4 wires going to it. The new one and others I have dealt with have only one going to the distributor.

Since I have dual helms, does it need a different type tach? I don't want to experiment and blow out my module on my electronic ignition.

The boat originally had a dual points distributor and I switched it to a Mecrusier electronic ignition.

I know 2 wires will be the instrument light. Then there are 3 wires that go inside the case through a grommet. One of those wires coming out of the grommet is terminated to a grounding screw on the tack. Its the other 2 wires that has me confused. I'm not sure if it is daisy chained through my upper helm to my lower helm.

Any help is appreciated......Thanks...SS

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral
Re: Tach ?'s

Don S, TD, Silvertip, Bondo, any ideas? I'll post a pic of the old tach if that will help. Thanks.