engine idle

cger

Cadet
hi, i have a 1991 mercruiser ,5.7, just wondering when i am starting i have to open throttle 3/4 to get it to start, also until fully warm it does not want to idle, will idle for a minute and then revs get lower and lower until it stalls
is this normal? thanks ger....

Bondo

Staff member
Re: engine idle

Ayuh,... Carbed motors require abit of babysitting, unlike EFI motors...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Sounds about normal for a carbed engine, they don't act like your cars EFI engine.
A tuneup, carb adjustment, and having the choke adjusted properly will minimize the problem, but pumping the throttle once or twice on a cold engine and keeping the rpms up around 900 to 1200 rpm is fairly typical.

cger

Cadet

good to know thats norhing much is wrong, will get it tuned up, thanks for answers. ger....

cger

Cadet

have another question for you guys, my motor for tilting up and down outdrive is not working, i can hear motor clicking, but nothing happens, any ideas, i am only new to this boats, boat is bayliner 2655 year 1991,
thanks ger.....

Don S

Do you have an Alpha I or Alpha I Gen II outdrive. 1991 might be the boat year, but it may not be the year of the engine and drive.

bigbob_FTW

Petty Officer 1st Class

have another question for you guys, my motor for tilting up and down outdrive is not working, i can hear motor clicking, but nothing happens, any ideas, i am only new to this boats, boat is bayliner 2655 year 1991,
thanks ger.....

Mine had become rusted inside. took it apart and cleaned it up, and it was good as new.

cger

Cadet

Do you have an Alpha I or Alpha I Gen II outdrive. 1991 might be the boat year, but it may not be the year of the engine and drive.

was told it is Alpha I Gen II outdrive,

Don S

Go up to the Adults only sticky at the top of this forum and go to the servce manual links. Download manual #14. Then go to section 1C for detailed troublshooting of the trim system with wiring diagrams.