water in outdrive

Glassport from Newport

Seaman Apprentice
When I pulled my outdrive, I had some water in the u joint bellows area. Not much, maybe 4 ounces. Is this ever normal?

I just had the bellows replaced last summer.

There is no water in my outdrive oil (or lube whichever you prefer).

I have had no water comming into my boat in that area all last running season.

I did have an issue this winter with my boat cover leaking and I had a small piece of debri clogging my boat's drain plug hole. So consequently I had some standing water in the rear of the boat for a good week or two. I am not sure if it was enough water to reach the drive shaft area.

cbavier

Lieutenant
Re: water in outdrive

Don or TD will answer this for you but I don't think it's normal. Where is Newport, MI ? I am in Roscommon. Five miles east of North Higgins Lake State park.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: water in outdrive

I shouldn't have to go to your profile and search your posts just to find out what kind of engine and drive you have so I can answers your questions. Might be a good idea to put your engine and drive SN, Year, Modle etc. in your siganture line so you don't have to type it each time.

I did check, NO water is allowed in the bellows, could be a bad bellows, or even the quad ring seal that the drive presses against in the bellhousing allowing water in.
The bellows would have to be full for water to get into the drive, and even then it only happens in the cool down of the drive if the bellows is full of water.
If you had water OVER the starter and above the drive shaft into the coupler is the only way water from the bilge area could get into the bellows. You have a leak from somewhere.