9.5 Shifter linkage adjustment

LIGHTFOOT

Seaman
I have a 66 9.5 and when I put it in forward it jumps out of gear and will grind the gears like its not going into gear all the way. Also, when its in forward, the shifter is down so far that you can't turn the motor to the right very far without the shift lever hitting the mounting bracket. I split the case, and the linkage was connected properly at the split point. The dog is a little rounded on the edges but don't look too bad and the gears themselves look fine. Works GREAT in reverse by the way. Is there any adjustment to this linkage that I can't see? Any advice will be appreciated.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 9.5 Shifter linkage adjustment

turn the dog around. the round dog will ruin the forward gears, better to have forward than reverse. also in the shift connector the screw has to go thru the detent in the shift rod, clue handle is too low.

Rick.

Captain

You can adjust the lever position right in the cowl. Have a look there and you will see what you need to do to adjust it. Rick.

LIGHTFOOT

Seaman

Thanks guys. I think I will just buy a new dog as I have tried turning it around and it didn't help. Anyone know where one can be had for under a $100.00?

LIGHTFOOT

Seaman

One last question for you guys, I was on eBay looking at some used 71 gears, shaft and clutch dog set. It says for 64-71 9.5 Johnson/Evinrude. I noticed the the clutch dog has an inner spline to ride the spline on the prop shaft. Mine doesn't have that. Should it? Is it just worn out, or did they make a change on these. If they did, would it work on mine? Thanks for any advice you can give me.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

All of the parts catalogs clearly show the splined dog. Without the splines on the clutch dog, the dog will not turn the propeller shaft when a gear is engaged.

Rick.

Captain

I would adjust that shifter before ordering gears. Could be that your shifter isn't going down far enough to get good forward gear set. I can't remember the location of the adjustment bolt but it must be fairly obvious as I found it. I put the gear case in neutral, loosened it, set the lever to neutral and then tightened it back up That simple. Rick.

LIGHTFOOT

Seaman

I would adjust that shifter before ordering gears. Could be that your shifter isn't going down far enough to get good forward gear set. I can't remember the location of the adjustment bolt but it must be fairly obvious as I found it. I put the gear case in neutral, loosened it, set the lever to neutral and then tightened it back up That simple. Rick.

Good call Rick. The adjustment bolt is right under the cowling at the end of the shifter (guess I should have looked first). I turned the clutch dog around so the better side faces the forward gear and adjusted it. I will give it a try tonight in this nice warm 38 degree Michigan weather and see what happens. I'll you know how it turns out. Thanks again to everyone for your input.

LIGHTFOOT

Seaman

Update- I turned the clutch dog around so the best side faced the forward gear and adjusted the linkage. I took it out for a short spin as the weather was horrid and it seemed to cure the problem. I'll know for sure when we get a nicer day to run it good and long.

Rick.

Captain

Don't be such a *****. Get out there and test it. That motor won't care if the weather is good, bad or ugly. If it's broke it's broke and if it's fixed then good on you. Rick.