Need Help on 9.9 honda

thebigfish1

Recruit
This engine #b100s 1500011 is new to me. was sitting for some time?.
When I tryed to start it up I had issue with carb. puking fuel from top of carb vents. Removed & cleaned carb. I then started engine & could see that water spray was fine @ faster idle but @ the slowest speed none to very little water coming out..but steam, increase speed ( still in netural) and I get water flowing again. ... Is my impeller no good ???? I then shut engine off using kill buttom ( which I did twice) ..... Now when I tryed to restart engine I am getting very little spark ( very faint ) No major shock if I hold plug in my hand, WHAT IS WRONG Is the coil bad ( how can I check ? ) While trying to start this beast the second time I also noticed fuel dripping from carb when pulling cord. Is this normal ? Please Help

Mas

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Need Help on 9.9 honda

You can preliminarily check the spark by getting a spark gap checker from an auto parts store. The tester I'm talking about has an adjustable gap. Your spark should be strong and blue. A good gap to be able to jump is about 7/16th of an inch. You may have to check it when it's dark if you're finding a weak spark.

If spark proves too weak, you can check the resistance from your exciter coil, charging coil, ignition coil, and pulser coil (I'm assuming that you have CD1 ignition and not points).

MAS

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

Your primary concern now is carb flooding.If you do not have access to a shop that can hydrostatically clean that carb you might consider just replaceing it.They are remarkably cheap and can save you alot of on and off time.This engine offers up very weak spark while cranking.The fact that you have it and can see it is likely normal.

thebigfish1

Recruit

Thanks for the help. Spark has died in total. This weekend I'll check coil etc. to find what went bad. I'm sure I have to replace water impeller. I cleaned carb out ( not that dirty ) all jet openings are clear ..Now I need to see if flooding stops..Otherwise I will get a new carb. Thank You.

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

May want to adjust float, or if that does not help, replace float and seat.

MAS

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

The seat cannot be replaced on that carb.Float levels will cause runability problems but unless they are so obviously out of wack,not a flood over.The inlet needle will cause this if it is grooved or distorted at all.Try it again if you feel like it and pay special attention to that needle.Throw the float into a small ,fuel safe container,and make sure it actually floats.These are foam floats and seldom fail ,but hey,you're in there again ,so why not?