To Gluvit or Not To Gluvit? Temperature...

cprince

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I need to apply some Gluvit to the inside of my tin boat. I have sanded and prepped and I am ready to apply it. Problem is; Trout season opens the 24th of April and I want my boat ready for that day.

The weather forecast for the next few days (I am off 'til Monday) is;
Today: High 42 - Low 21
Sunday; High 39 Low 21
Monday; High 46 low 24

the rest of the week shows no rain and it will go up to 53 and lows of 30 by Friday coming...

Would it be reasonable to expect the Gluvit to cure by Friday (High 60 Low 32) so I can apply some protective epoxy paint? That would give that paint a week to cure and be ready by the 24th... in theory!

So the question is this; Could the Gluvit be reasonably expected to cure by Friday given these weather conditions?

(Here is the forecast for my area: http://www.theweathernetwork.com/index.php?product=weather&placecode=CAQC0212&switchto=f )

Thanks!

Craig

reelfishin

Captain
Re: To Gluvit or Not To Gluvit? Temperature...

I would say wait, unless you can get it inside. Gluvit is a 2 part coating, it might work but would most likely take forever to dry.
I've not tried it below 60 degrees outside and at that temp, it takes a few days to really cure.

tlynch99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I can tell you I just applied Gluvit to the inside of my 16ft aluminum starcraft. I did it in my garage, because the outside temp was below 40. In my garage it was about 50 degrees. It definnitly took almost 48 hours to dry. I can't say anything to the strength of it, if it drys at a lower temperature, but that is what I experienced with my as far as time.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Hey Craig, where are you in the Gatineau Hills? I'm in Chelsea...

And welcome to the iBoats forum :)