Terminology: Difference between Bowrider and D/C?

jdlough

Master Chief Petty Officer
What's the difference between a Bowrider and the type of Dual Console that looks like what I would call a Bowrider?

Nearest I can tell is that the D/C has a stainless steering wheel, fiberglass deck, and is usually set up more for fishing.

Is there a difference? Is the D/C a beefier boat? Higher freeboard? Anything?

Attached: pics of SeaSwirl 1850 Dual Console I'm buying.

Attachments

• SeaSwirl-DC.JPG
    SeaSwirl-DC.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 0
  • SeaSwirl-DC2.JPG
    SeaSwirl-DC2.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 0

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Re: Terminology: Difference between Bowrider and D/C?

Many D/C boats have storage up front and not seating. Many fisn 'n' ski boats are set up that way. No cushions and no backrest areas in the bow.

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

I think you pretty much have it.

A bowrider is more for cruising and watersports and is basically intended more for passengers.

A D/C is more for fishing. However, I think manufacturers are making D/Cs more and more family friendly. Another big distinction is that D/C are exclusively outboards. Bowriders these days are almost exclusively I/O

22E6441

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hmmm....so my boat would more accurately be called a "dual console" than an "open bow"?

So I have a fiberglass dual console boat then....learn something every day on here.

Attachments

• IMG_1809.JPG
    IMG_1809.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1808.JPG
    IMG_1808.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1811.JPG
    IMG_1811.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 0

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

A bow rider is a boat that has seating up front and it almost always has a dual console so the two terms do not always apply to separate classes of boat. If the bow is enclosed and you can't sit up there, you don't obviously have a bow rider but it may or may not have dual consoles. Bass boats or fishing boat as may have dual consoles and many have a single or side console but they are not considered bow riders. Fish & Ski boats can be considered bow riders and again they almost always have a dual console. In comparison a center console has seating up front but you would not consider it a bow rider but rather the more common CC. So the difference in the two definitions really boils down to whether there is seating up front or not.

silveraire

Petty Officer 1st Class

alot of times duel console boats are designed to take a beating more than a bowrider. It still depends on the quality of boat. They usually have a sharper bow entry, more bow flair, and a steeper transom deadrise to handle the elements better. Most dc have self bailing decks unlike most bowriders.

Like you said, dc are set up for fishing. Bowriders are usually not. rod holders, fish box's, livewells, and front casting decks on some.

chad

ps like I said, it all depends on the quality of the boats. Comparing apples to apples.