Distributor cap and rotor question

scooter4n

Seaman Apprentice
I have 1990 Chaparrel 1800 with 3.0 mercruiser.
Engine was rebuild or maybe even swapped by previous owner, thats what my mechanic told me. Still has electronic distributor in it, but for some reason runs on the old distributor system.
Bot runs fine, nice a strong.
I wanted to do spring tuneup, distributor cap, rotor, points, spark plugs wires...
Here is the problem I got:

I went and got new distributor cap and rotor that is inside distributor, but after looking at it, the distance between the rotor and points on the distributor is more then on the old one. I got my digital caliper out ,and here is what I got
Old distributor distance between rotor and points on distributor is 2mm, and on the new one is 4mm
I went back to my local boat shop where I do all my stuff, and they checked and part # are all good, my mechanic says that there should be a space, between, and thats fine.
Is this about right what they telling me?
Seems like little to much of the spacing

thanks

captmello

Captain
Re: Distributor cap and rotor question

Can't really tell what your talking about.:confused:

Maybe post a pic showing what your talking about.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

I can't see where 2 extra mm would make much of a difference.
Put the new cap and rotor on and see how it runs.
Does the old rotor button look shorter than the original?

ziggy

Admiral

I went and got new distributor cap and rotor that is inside distributor, but after looking at it, the distance between the rotor and points on the distributor is more then on the old one.
just a couple of questions here. i assume you mean the distance between the tip of the rotor and the contacts inside the distributor cap as the distance between the rotor and the points is irrelevant.
I got my digital caliper out ,and here is what I got
Old distributor distance between rotor and points on distributor is 2mm, and on the new one is 4mm
how can you measure this distance between the rotor and the distributor cap contacts? seems like you'd have to have the cap on to measure this distance. unless you mean your measuring the point gap which does require a certain distance when the points are open. better yet. use a dwell meter to set the points.
Bot runs fine, nice a strong.
if ya did the tune up and set the dwell and timing. and she runs great. is there really any issue?

scooter4n

Seaman Apprentice

just a couple of questions here. i assume you mean the distance between the tip of the rotor and the contacts inside the distributor cap as the distance between the rotor and the points is irrelevant.
how can you measure this distance between the rotor and the distributor cap contacts? seems like you'd have to have the cap on to measure this distance. unless you mean your measuring the point gap which does require a certain distance when the points are open. better yet. use a dwell meter to set the points. if ya did the tune up and set the dwell and timing. and she runs great. is there really any issue?

1. Yes, I was talking about the distance between the rotor end and the distributor cap point.
2. It is easy to measure, first you take distributor cap and measure distance between center of the cap and the contact (inside the cap) then you take the rotor, and measure the distance between the center of the rotor and the end point, the difference is the gap :)
3. I guess I have to install and run then,

thanks