1974 Invader Capri

dsmskyline

Recruit
I just boat this boat about a month ago. Paid a large sum of $100 for it and a good trailer.

It is an open bow, outboard motored boat.

I figured it will be a good project boat, the hull is in good shape with a little beach rash. The interior needs redone as it sat outside with no cover.

Im at the point that I know I will need to replace the transom and the stringers/foam.

Ive been looking around at some posts here in the restoration section and found a couple projects that were done on tri-hull boats.

I was wondering if most or all tri hull boats have stringers that run bow to stern?

Has anyone done any stringer replacement on this type of boat that could give some input?

I gave thought about doing a stringer less rebuild and just using 4lb foam. I will probably add a couple floor supports or maybe even a full center stringer.

I havent started to tear anything apart yet as I want to make sure it is going to be worth all the work.

Thanks for the space,
Thomas

new boat guy

Seaman
Re: 1974 Invader Capri

from that post it sounds like you want to take out the stringers and maybe replace one in the middle and then just use foam for the rest of the support? not sure how good of a idea that sounds. I thought foam was used for less "major" things like holding/keeping the gas tank form shaking?

dsmskyline

Recruit

I was reading a post about a refurb on a 70s tri hull gypsy and it was mentioned to him that 4lb foam can be used as a structural support and basically be stringer less. From what Ive read this is a pretty strong way to support the floor and definitely helps with flotation. Trihulls arent as deep and deep v's are from the keel to the floor and with the design of the tri hull are very sturdy without the foam and stringers.

Unfortunately I am definitely a newbie to boats. I have spend most of my life on land and working on cars so this is going to be a good learning experience for me.

Thomas

dsmskyline

Recruit

Edit: I figured it out! trailer gets redone this weekend! will post pics of progress.

Thanks for the help, Im trying to learn as much as I can about boats.

Thomas

Land-locked Arizona, the state with more boats per capita than any other state.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

At least you've come to the right place for advice. I don't know who wrote it but it's kept me going. The line was something about read, read, and read some more - don't just look at the pictures. You certainly won't be breaking any new ground when you make a mistake but be assured that there are others who can help find a way out. Use your own common sense and listen to the people here. As far as your specifics about foam and support: yes, foam can very well be a structural component but it needs to be a part of the structure - not the only structural member. Just dig in and go!