3.0 Alpha 1 shift cable repair

Glassport from Newport

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1988 3.0, Alpha one that I am changing the shift cable on. I have a service manual and am using it to guide me but my questions are: Do I have to remove the bell housing to get the shift cable bellows off, and if not, how do I get to the clamp so that I can pull out the old cable? This is a new style cable that is threaded in from the outdrive side and I do have the special socket that is required for the job.

Also, the manual says to remove the shift cable from the sleeve (at the shift plate). I removed the 2 set screws but cannot pull the cable out of the sleeve. Should I just cut the cable?

Thanks in adavnce for any info.

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Re: 3.0 Alpha 1 shift cable repair

First off you need to remove the black shift cable end (engine end of cable) by loosening the set screws. If it dosen't come off with set screws removed, yank on the end, it will come off. Then take a channel lock and grip the brass end of the cable and loosen the 7/16 inch nut next to that. It could be tough but you need to remove the threaded rod that the barrel/trunion is on.

Next, go to the bell housing, I assume your drive is off. Pull on the shift slide ( rectangular shaped piece on the end of shift cable) and remove inner core wire of the cable. DO NOT discard this inner wire you will need it as a fish wire for the new cable. Remove shift slide from inner core wire by sliding it off towards engine end of cable.

You will need to saw off about 3/4 inch of the threaded rod from the barrel/trunion piece then thread that into the engine side brass end of the black outer cable, This will be your fish wire for the new cable.

It is much much easier to install the new cable with the bell housing off because it threads from the back side. Loosen the U-joint bellows clamp from the transom plate and the exhaust bellows clamp from the bell housing. It is possible to loosen the shift bellows clamp but you may as well just cut it and take the clamp off when the bell housing is removed.

If you have made it this far going back together is just like removal. Follow the steps in the manual (I hope its #14) and you should be boating soon.

Tha exhaust bellows can be tough to get on without the special tool but if not being replaced can be done rather simply.

Good Luck!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Are you using the OEM manual? I don't ever recall anything being called a sleeve. If you aren't, might want to look up in the ADULTS ONLY sticky at the top of this forum, find the Merc manuals link and download manual #6, then have a look at section 4A.

Glassport from Newport

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the info. The manuals I use are genuine Mercruiser service manuals that I bought from ebay. I was wondering about the bell housing removal because the cable that I am replacing is the new style that is threaded from the drive side of the boat.

Glassport from Newport

Seaman Apprentice

I just removed the old cable and already fished the new one in. There was no clamp on the smaller side of the shift cable bellows. I have a new clamp (included with shift cable kit) but I'm not sure where the bellows should be clamped to. Does it just clamp around the cable? Also how important is the shift cable wrapping? It wasn't on my old cable.

I had a marine mechanic install all new bellows last summer, so he may not have used the bellows clamp or the wrapping. I just want to do the job right and not worry about having to fix this again next year.

Glassport from Newport

Seaman Apprentice

Are you using the OEM manual? I don't ever recall anything being called a sleeve. If you aren't, might want to look up in the ADULTS ONLY sticky at the top of this forum, find the Merc manuals link and download manual #6, then have a look at section 4A.

Sorry Don, I meant guide, not sleeve.

Don S

so he may not have used the bellows clamp

Those clamps are really a waste of time. A cable tie designed for fuel lines works perfect. The OEM clamps are made of steel and don't last at all in salt water. Basically the shift cable bellows fits around the cable so tight it doesn't really need anything. It won't leak. But the fuel hose tie gives just that extra bit of feel good protection.
Ask any Merc outboard or IO dealer for some of those cable ties, they know about them.

Don S

1988 Mercruiser MCM 3.0 sn:B788855, Alpha 1 sn:OB876522

Now there is a signature line that means something to those that can help you,, Thanks :D