Rebuilt carb, runs, then stalls...

copelandcf

Cadet
I have a 1988 chris craft cavalier with a 3L 4cyl merc engine. I recently rebuilt the carb, which didnt work at first, and after finding an upside down manifold gasket I flipped it over and with a lot of pumping it started. I checked timing which was between 8-10* because the engine was surging a little at idle, and it was idling high. Keep in mind these are the initial startup settings, and it ran fine for 10 min before I shut it down.

My problem now is about an hour after startup, I tried to restart it and no go. When I pump there is still gas going into the carb. But I tried pouring a little gas in the carb anyway, and it starts. It will run for about 15-30 seconds before it dies again. Any clue what is going on now? I'm guessing some kind of fuel delivery issue. I checked the spark after carb rebuild to make sure I was getting it and it was fine, nice 1/4" jump. Could this be the accelerator pump of fuel pump? Even the fuel filters? I'm gonna check the filters now, just wanted some expert opinions before the day is over. There is plenty of fuel in the tank btw, that was the first thing I checked.

Thanks for any help!

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: Rebuilt carb, runs, then stalls...

My guess is bad floats or bad needle/seat....
Carbs are tricky, & I would seek professional help on the rebuild...;)

Lodgepole

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Rebuilt carb, runs, then stalls...

Accelerator pump should produce 2 nice squirts when looking down the throat of the carb when you pump the throttle lever, that is if you have gas in the carb bowl. If you just rebuilt it, that should be OK. Check the filter where the gas line connects to the card. Check the water seperator/fuel filter. Fuel pump should produce about 6 lb pressure when engine is cranked over. Also check to be sure fuel tank vent is clear.