1966 Chrysler Lonestar Polara 254 ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

rirory

Seaman
Here's a question for the experts--

this boat will be used in freshwater like-LAKE ONTARIO OR RANGELEY LAKE and saltwater such as NARRAGANSETT BAY for Stripers--when i get to the finished floor--- months from now

Does the marine vinyl-like Deco Dot hold up?? ( because i love the look--over sanded epoxied plywood)

or--Should i glass and then all-grip epoxy paint??

looking forward to the answers.

rory

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1966 Chrysler Lonestar Polara 254 ???

the original were marine ply. i would use exterior ply coat all sides and edges, seal your screws, then apply the deco dot. any thing you mount to the deck, seal with 3M 4200, to prevent water intrusion around the additional screws.

jmk

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I just bought a 1971 Chrysler Polara 19' aluminum boat also. I have been trying to figure out what exactly it was because there wasn't a lot of information on it. When I came across the Chrysler link with the 1969 line up I saw it. That and your thread is all I have been able to find on the 254 Polara. The boat has a Chrysler tag That is unreadable. It also says Lone Star on all the mooring points. I am guessing it's a 1971 because an outboard motor Co. told me the motor was a 1971. The guy I bought mine from said that it was in his family for the duration. It belonged to his Grandfather who passed it on to his uncle then he died and he got the boat. The registration is incomplete. I am new to this forum too. I have to figure out how to post pictures. I would like to show you my boat. Yours looks great! Mine is in great shape but needs new paint. It's been used on the Saginaw Bay, Lake Huron all it's life. I paid $400.00 for mine with trailer and the 55 hp Chrysler outboard. I paid an extra $100 for the fishing gear. Five outriggers, releases, bumper cushions, cannon balls, and large planner boards. There is also some things that say Lorance guidance systems on them that look similar to little desk top lights that have the hinges to that allow you to extend and lock into certain positions. Maybe a pole holder? They are all aluminum with big aluminum wing nuts. :)

jmk

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Here is a picture of my boat.

Attachments

• shrunken boat pic 3.JPG
    shrunken boat pic 3.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 0
  • shrunk boat picture 1.JPG
    shrunk boat picture 1.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 0
  • shrunken boat pic 4.JPG
    shrunken boat pic 4.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 0

Rickster1

Recruit

Good to see others that have picked up on restoring some old boats...I have attached a pick of my Lonestar Polara 254 and am currently in the process of finishing up with the installation of a 225 Suzuki. When I bought the boat back in 75 it had twin 105's...curious to see how it is going to run... Well that was a thought, got to figure how to attach pics????

Rick

rirory

Seaman

I am glad to see other Polara's out there. My advice to all----remove the foam carefully, have a machine shop make high hats and have an aluminum person air rivet them in place. My Polara had decay under the foam even though it was a lake Erie boat. I then Steel-Flexed the entire inside of the hull. Steel Flex is like Glu-vit.

I will post pictures soon of where i am at in the rebuild. I just purchased a 2003 Yamaha 130hp in new condition for this project craft.

I am turning mine into a side console fishing boat.

Rustoleum's topside oyster white is very close to original---
Inter-lux's vermillion is very close to the ugly 1960's orange trim

any question--let me know

ri rory

kydiesel

Recruit

I am new to the sight, I was just browsing and ran across it. I have a 1968 aluminum polara that belonged to my father. One thing different I have not seen on here is it is an inboard outboard volvo penta. it has been in my barn for several years since my son began restoration and lost interest. The boat looks basically the same except transum runs all the way to the top and has an engine cover at the rear. I am thinking about restoring and wondered if I should put in the original engine, still running 4 cyl or repower with a more modern more powerful V6 or something.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Welcome to the forum kydiesel. Best to start a new thread as this one is quite old. We'd love to see some pictures of your boat.

I'd throw another post up in the I/O section asking about your power options on that old Volvo.

Status
Not open for further replies.