help

athenb

Cadet
haveing problems with my 1985 gt johnson 150 outboard will not stay at idle. it will start for about 10 secends and die please give me suggestions on where to start troobleshooting or if i need to take it in?

OldJohnson6hp

Seaman
Re: help

more info needed

"i need to take it in?"

Get a factory service manual, a decent set of tools, some patience/willing to learn, and no YOU can do it. :)

Mike2076

Cadet

i have a 86 gt 150 on a ranger i just got,the boy i got it from thought he could fix it and started tearing it down.i got it and finished taking the powerhead off and apart,had to replace a sleeve anyway i will help you with yours anyway i can,you could help me out if you could post some pics of your engine from both sides,back,up close with the cover off so i can tell how to run all the wires and hoses he took off.if you can that would be great if you cant thats ok.let me know if i can help good luck

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

athenb, welcome to iboats.

Start with the basics, check compression, and spark on all cylinders. have you tried choking it when it starts to die. when were the carbs last cleaned and rebuilt?

itsaboattime

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Agree with TD. Check your fuel filter as well. You didn't mention if it will run at higher RPM's. How old is the fuel you are running?