How a boat is suppose to fit on trailer

salmonee

Chief Petty Officer
I'm going to look at a boat this weekend. The boat and trailer are off by 10 years! The trailer is a shorelander roller. I'm going to ask the dealer why the trailer is off by 10 years but they may not know. My question is how do i check to make sure the boat sits alright on the trailer? What should I look for?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: How a boat is suppose to fit on trailer

Last set of rollers directly under the transom. The remainder should all be touching the hull including and keel rollers. If any rollers are compressed more than the others those are set too high and are creating excess pressure on the hull. The bow eye and winch strap should pass under the bow stop, not over it and the bow should nestle nicely into the bow stop. The boat should have a bow eye safety chain and the stern should be held down with tie down straps. Do not tow without them.

Starcraftguy1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Make sure that all the high points are on rollers or suspended in the air.Make sure the winch in front is tight and wedging the bow securely.Make sure the tie downs on the rear do something,Look at the boat,you will see telltale signs if something is very bad.Good luck.

salmonee

Chief Petty Officer

I don't see a transom tie downs? Can these be added to the trailer?

Attachments

• 3m23o23laZZZZZZZZZ949504bfe34b7d21130.jpg
    3m23o23laZZZZZZZZZ949504bfe34b7d21130.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 0
  • vp1166091_1_large.jpg
    vp1166091_1_large.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 0

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

yes, just a 1/2 inch eye bolt. they make straps that go all the way over the boat also. i prefer them.

22E6441

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm with TD on the tie downs. I don't use transom tie downs at all....never liked the way they fit. I prefer one nice long thick ratcheting strap over the gunwales to the trailer.

salmonee

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks. I do have ratchet tie downs in my truck.

CATransplant

Admiral

From your photos, I think that trailer is too small for that boat. What size tires are on it?

It looks to me like the winch tower is right up next to the hitch. It also looks like the stern of the boat extends past the rear crossmember of the trailer.

That's what I'd be concerned about with that rig. With a tongue that short, backing is going to be difficult, and if those wheels and tires are as small as I think they are, they're way overloaded with that boat.

Bottom line is that I'd look very closely at the weight limit marked on the tires and have a look at that boat on NADA to see what it weighs. Then add in the weight of engine and gear. I suspect you'll find that it's not a good match.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The only issue with a side-to-side strap is it does little to nothing to stop forward movement of the boat in an emergency/crash. The very nature of the bow stop causes the the boat to ride up over the post and onto or into the tow vehicle. Yes, the winch strap and safety chain help to keep things down, but the winch will break first since the only thing holding is three small teeth on the pawl. The bow eye may or may not stay attached to the boat. The stern tie down straps help to ensure the bow eye does not pull free. In a very serious crash it's all a moot point because there will be damage regardless. I've posted a picture of what happens when stern tie downs aren't used so i won't post it again as there are a couple of pictures of the same series of events.