bf15a no spark

coronadojeff

Cadet
i just got a used 15hp honda 4stroke, it has been sitting for a while and not used in a few years. i cleaned out the carb, got everything in working order, but theres no spark. it electric start, i pulled the new plugs i put in it and held them to the head while cranking and nothing. cleaned the cam sensor pick up but still cant figure out what the problem is. any ideas?

Mas

Lieutenant Commander
Re: bf15a no spark

What year?? Points or CD ignition?

Did you check the kill switch/lanyard?

MAS

coronadojeff

Cadet

not suer on the year or ignition, but the serial number is baas 1205063. i checked the kill switch key. its on there and holding the button up like its supposed to right?

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

Be carefull here.These things offer up very cold spark when you are pulling or cranking them over.It can be hard to see.I usually turn the lights off in the shop and ground those plugs to the valve cover screws.Ignition failures are rare on these units but not unheard of.Find the grey/pink or black/red depending on vintage,wires comming from the kill switch and unplug that bullet connector.If you now have output you have a faulty kill switch.

coronadojeff

Cadet

i pulled the black and red wire from the kill switch and it still didn't spark. all the connections look good, i checked the fuse, what parts (and how much) would i need to replace first?

coronadojeff

Cadet

also im not sure if it means anything but the oil light is turning on when im cranking the motor, so i know there's some juice coming from some where