16' westfield has only 70HP max rating ?

a70eliminator

Captain
Horsepower limit seems very conservative on my 67' westfield, are the ratings higher on some of the other MFG models in the 16' range?
Mine has the original equiped 60HP 1967 sportfour and the hull is rated 70HP max. Not that I'm unhappy with the powerplant, it has more than enough power to plane but I'm just wondering how many owners of these old boats overpower them without even realizing what the actual rating is (missing data plates ect) Anyone here have a larger than 70HP on their 16' hull? Just curious.

woosterken

Lieutenant
Re: 16' westfield has only 70HP max rating ?

have you checked the brochures at fiberglassics.com/mfg
I think the motor mfgers changed how they rated horse power.it used to be hp at hte head now I think it is hp at the prop

woosterken

Landscaping Wiz 808

Chief Petty Officer

I was thinking the same thing! I haven't even ridden in my '68 Westfield yet, but I have a 50hp I'm going to mount once the transom's done. I'm also picking up a cheap '75 Evinrude 70hp this weekend so I'll be able to compare the boats characteristics under different horsepowers.

On the back page of the '68 catalog Ed sent me it reads:

"MFG BOAT - HORSEPOWER COMBINATIONS _ MFG pressure molded hulls are the strongest, most durable hulls available...anywhere. The suggested horsepowers shown do not represent maximum combinations but are intended as conservative recommendations for good performance with maximum safety for all persons under any reasonable boating conditions."

I guess we can take that however we choose.:D

BOB

*EdC*

Senior Chief Petty Officer

It used to be, that the boat manufacturers would rate their own boats. But, in the mid to late '60s the Boating Industry of America (BIA) was established as and independent council to standardize H.P. ratings for boats. The BIA as an organization has changed over the years and is now the National Marine Manufacturers Association (NMMA)
My '68 Edinboro is rated for 80 h.p. via BIA. Whereas the '65 Edinboro is 100h.p.. by MFG. Practically the same boat. Although I'm putting an 80 on my boat, I wouldn't hesitate to go to a 100 h.p. if I had one.:eek:
Woosterken is correct about how h.p. is figured. But that change didn't happen til 1983. I believe motors nowadays are rated at the prop shaft at WOT or the manufacturer's max rpm.

Regards,
Ed

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

Boat HP ratings are determined by factors that assess swamping, cornering stability, etc. along with overall weight. There is a formula that produces a number.

Probably an intelligent experienced operator will be safe with more HP but the rating is there for a reason generally.