Flywheel Magnet Spacing....HELP ME!!!

I have a 1988 Johnson 200GT. Four of my magnets were broken during operation, and luckily it didnt damage anything but the magnets. I removed the broken magnets as well as the 2 remaining good magnets. I ordered the new magnets and just recieved them. I stupidly didnt mark the magnets when I removed them and now I cannot figure out the correct spacing. I have placed all 6 magnets into the flywheel with 7/16" spacing between them. With all of them in and spaced as such, I am left with a 1 1/4" gap between 2 of the magnets. I was told by the dealer that the flywheel is keyed for timing so im sure this bigger gap has to be in a specific place. The dealer is going to "get back to me" so I decided to ask all of you experts for your opinion as well. Thanks in advance for the help.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Flywheel Magnet Spacing....HELP ME!!!

The key in the flywheel has nothing to do with magnet spacing. In fact the outer magnets have nothing to do with timing. There is a corner of each magnet that has a piece cut off. use that as a reference to orient all the magnets. You can use anything to space the magnets while the epoxy sets up. We use bolts.

The trick is cleaning the surface so the epoxy bonds well.

Re: Flywheel Magnet Spacing....HELP ME!!!

Since I had spaced all of the magnets at 7/16" and was left with a 1 1/4" gap should I space them all out evenly, or does it even matter?

I noticed the broken magnets when I lost power on the lake. I have inspected the stator and other componets close to the flywheel and there is no noticable damage. Would the breaking/loss of the magnets cause me to lose power? I was told that it was the problem. I did check the spark plugs and wires and they are good as well as the computer head was replaced last year.