1995 Force 15 hard to start

bandman72

Cadet
I traded my 1972 johnson 25 this weekend for a 1995 Force 15 (long story, I have a 12' aluminum boat). Once I get it started, she runs fine. I've changed the impeller, spark plugs, and gear oil. The carb is clean enough to eat out of. I'm finding I need to prime it about 20 times then pull about 20 times to get her to fire. Once she fires, she runs like a dream, and once she warms up, she starts on the 1st or 2nd pull. I shouldn't have to pull my arm off to start it the first time though. Any suggestions?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1995 Force 15 hard to start

If you are choking it when cold and if you are advancing the throttle a bit for starting, then, check the bottom nut on the carb bowl. If it is loose or if the gaskets are missing, it can cause the sort of problem you are experiencing. If you can smell fuel, then this is suspect. If not----

Explanation: If the nut is loose enough for fuel to run out, when you prime the carb, the fuel dribbles out and the level gets low, too low to deliver enough fuel for a cold start. Once you do start the engine, the fuel pump can overcome the leak and the engine runs fine. Re-starting hot takes a lot less fuel than a cold start so the engine will start with what is left in the bowl.

bandman72

Cadet
Re: 1995 Force 15 hard to start

Ok, so I tightened up the screw on the bowl. Now I can get it to start. Thanks for the tip.

New Problem: It starts, then after about 30 seconds, it idle's up then begins to miss fire, then dies. I found that the bulb in the fuel line is easy to squeeze. Any suggestions? and yes, the vent on the tank is open.