used ski, how to prep for summer

sebas54

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi, I just purchased a 1996 SL700. I wanted to now what maintenance and repairs need to be made with a purchase of a used jet. I don't know what maintenance has been done before I bought it.

When I went to pick it up the previous owner said that the battery died and that he would jump start it. He jump started it after about 5 mins of trying it finally cranked over. When it started there was a lot of smoke whitish/blue in color. He said it works fine and that he brought it to the shop for regular maintness.

What parts need to be replaced and where can I purchase them from?
I was thinking fuel filter, oil filter, water seperator, plugs, intake filter, and just a general clean up. I just don't know where to buy them.

Thank you in advance.

CCDave

Cadet
Re: used ski, how to prep for summer

Those old polarises were 2strokes - so there is no oil filter. Get new spark plugs, you could change the little inline fuel filter if there is one. I'd get a new battery, and have the charging system checked out..call a polaris dealer. You'll need some oil too.

jam1ej20

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: used ski, how to prep for summer

Those systems are not designed to be jumped, never a good idea. Not to mention the fuel and oil vapors down in the hull that could be ignited by sparks from the jumper cables. Definitely get a new battery (walmart carries most) and some new plugs (i'm partial to NGK). I change my plugs at least twice a season. Carry spares at minimum. When they get fouled, and it will happen fast with the oil/fuel mix, they will not start. Keep an eye on the oil level because the mixture with the fuel is what lubricates the motor. Take care of these few issues and get it where it will start easily on the water hose and you'll be set. Also wouldn't be a bad idea to lube all the shift and steering linkages before you put it in the water and look for a grease coupler on the back of the motor where it mates with the impeller shaft (some have one, some don't). Don't forget to winterize at the end of the season. One more thing, I usually disconnect my battery between uses. Seems a lot of these skis draw some juice even when all is off. It'll make your battery last longer for sure. Good luck!