Boyesen power reeds for old inline 6

Doug Redinger

Seaman
I was thinking about trying some new reeds for my old (1963) Merc 850 inline 6. Have any of you tried these reeds? and if so did they work to your liking. I am still running the old original metal reeds that came stock on my motor. Boyesen advertises that their reeds will produce more power throughout the powerband and improve idle too!! Any thoughts?

Droll

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Boyesen power reeds for old inline 6

I was thinking about trying some new reeds for my old (1963) Merc 850 inline 6. Have any of you tried these reeds? and if so did they work to your liking. I am still running the old original metal reeds that came stock on my motor. Boyesen advertises that their reeds will produce more power throughout the powerband and improve idle too!! Any thoughts?

Dont' know how the old crossflow engine will work, but on the later "direct charge" ( last inline 6 engines, 1969 > 1988 ) engines it doesn't work at all .

If you're having problems with the idle.... it's more likely a worn labyrinth seal on the reedblocks, or it's just time for a rebuild

Arne Kjetil

Laddies

Banned

They don't seem to do much for inline 6's, reed valves are misunderstood by most people they think they work like a intake valve on a 4 stroke, that's a fact at dead idle and when starting the engine but at 1500 they don't open and close with crankshaft revulsions they hang partially open, so much is determined by the thickness (tension) of the petal and the vacume of the engine generated by the RPM as the RPM increases they rest agains the reed stops all the way open and do not close again intill the RPMs are reduced to the point near idle that they start to pulse (open & close) again. so in most cases they are wide open against the stops. More tension increses idle preformance and thinner reeds mid range larger reed block openings and reed stops that have a higher lift increase top end.

Moody Blue

Captain

What is a labyrinth seal? Is it the multi-grooved surface on the ID of the reed block?

Doug Redinger

Seaman

Based on your responses I think I will leave it alone. It runs really well for a 46 year old motor and I really don't have any complaints. One of those if it's not broken don't fix it type things. I just love the sound of that old inline 6. It sounds like nothing else out on the water these days.

Laddies

Banned

The certianly are a work of art, the J-rudes fans still hate them.