I am serious about a 1998 Bayliner capri 1750

gollas24

Recruit
I am looking for my first boat and am looking at a 1998 Bayliner 1750 & just wondered if there is anything I should know before buying it. It is my father inlaws and only has 50-60 hours and is in great condition

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander
Re: I am serious about a 1998 Bayliner capri 1750

well, since its family he should be able to tell ya about the maintenance history which is good. thats pretty low hours. check for the usual soft floors and deteriorating vinyl which is expensive to replace. Have you been out on it before? what engine? cuddy or open bow?

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander

I think that any boat or vehicle sale between friends or relatives is pretty much a no - no in my book. I have seen too many times things go astray and then it all sours from there. Now, you must understand that I'm pretty much a pessimist from the git go so you can take that with a grain of salt.
If your father-in-law lays down the rules as far as your deal then it might work. Don't go off with a handshake and promises and expect him to make good on any malfuntions or mechanical failures.
Sort of like politics and religion - they're not supposed to mix.
O.K. - so all is square with the transaction and everyone is happy now about the boat.
They are very decent as a starter boat. Does it have the 3.0 or the 4.3? Was it maintained properly? Take it to your local Bayliner dealer, have then go through it for you. Get a qualified marine survey done. I know it may seem like a lot of overkill but you really should have those mechanical questions answered.
Even though you might be the best mechanic on the planet earth - what do you know about boats and the marine environment?
Or, just give him the money and say "thanks ".
If your relationship is good he'll completely understand what you want to do and why.
Like I mentioned, I've seen a few friends butt heads over a misunderstanding.
Good luck! :D:D:D

gollas24

Recruit

I have been on the water in the boat and it runs great, he has kept up with all the maintenance, it has 3.0, open bow, he has pretty much kept it in a heated storage and used it a once or twice a month during the summer. The only time its left out is during the summer at their lake house on a covered lift with the cover on the boat.

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander

Well if you're satisfied with the boat and the deal then by all means go for it. Remember that the 3.0 is no powerhouse but it should be quite adequate for pulling a tube and generally cruising around.
Have fun, be safe and remember to keep all of your safety gear in tip top shape. Maintenance, maintenance, maintenance !!!!!!!!!!
Oh, did I mention maintenance?????? :D