mid 90's evinrude just over heated

boatsNhoes

Recruit
Ok so im getting my boat ready for season. Hook the hose up to it see the water driping start the boat. As im checking all the lights and what not...the over heat alarm sounds about (4-6mins into running). So i shut engine off and gage reads somewhere close to 200. So im like ****! THE ALMIGHT "KINK PROOF HOSE" HAD LET A LITTLE WATER RUN INTO ENGINE AS IT WAS KINKED(probaly not enough to keep it cool, but there was a little water running). Now the engines cooled down and the alarms still sounds when i turn the key on? Should i just run it till it shuts off? What to do? i dont think i could of damaged the engine beacuse it was only on for 4 to 6 mins.
What should i do to get this alarm off?

jbjennings

Captain
Re: mid 90's evinrude just over heated

IF it only got up to 200 degrees, it definitely isn't damaged. I'd wait until it totally cooled down, then hook it back up and look at the tell-tale stream to make sure it's good and hard like usual. Actually you might be smart to replace the impeller because if it was so water starved it overheated, the impeller may be heat-set anyway. That may be why the alarm is on although I doubt it. What hp is your engine?
I'm no expert on alarm sensors, so I can't help much, but it should go off if the engine is cool.
Good luck,
JBJ

boatsNhoes

Recruit
Re: mid 90's evinrude just over heated

it went off..and runs fine..thank god.....dumb hose.......