Dual Swim Steps?

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
The other day I came across an OEM Bayliner (US Marine) swim step/ladder same as is on my 85 Capri. It was complete with all brackets and railing that I could not pass it up for the $50 asking price. So now I have another matching swim step.

I'm thinking of adding the second swim step so two people can hang out sitting on the step with their feet in the water. Sort of like a swim platform but with an outboard in the middle! Plus the kids won't be fighting over who gets to sit on the step or fight over who's turn it is to jump off, etc.

I was checking out the boat yesterday and even with two swim steps mounted, there is plenty of room to stand and work on the motor.

Can you think of any drawbacks to having two swim steps?

Ph2007-09-0400035s.jpg

haulnazz15

Captain
Re: Dual Swim Steps?

Many boats have dual swim platforms. There's no real downside, just as long as you have full movement of the engine for trim and steering.

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

I have been wanting to do the same exact thing. only thing i noticed is my starboard side swim step doesnt look like it would work on the port side, since its angled to match the transom. maybe, i dunno. We have the same issues, so it sure would be nice to have.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I have been wanting to do the same exact thing. only thing i noticed is my starboard side swim step doesnt look like it would work on the port side, since its angled to match the transom. maybe, i dunno. We have the same issues, so it sure would be nice to have.

I thought mine was angled too, but upon close inspection, its the transom that is at an angle, not the swim step. So all that needs to be done is to reverse the mounting brackets. The underside stainless tube is no problem, it just moves to the same hole on the other side of the platform. The hand rail needs to be drilled all the way through the platform and then it will mount too.

Pretty easy to do.

So is my boat now a 18 footer instead of a 16 footer? :)

Chiliando

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sounds like a winning combo for how you use your boat.

Go for it!