US Vessel Hijacked

angus63

Captain
It was bound to happen. The US flag vessel Maersk Alabama was hijacked outside of Somalia. Fortunately I do not have any cadets onboard currently (they were on board two weeks ago). Unfortunately, I have several colleagues onboard. Hoping for their safe and speedy return, and an end to this crisis endangering Mariners. I'll post details as I hear them.​

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: US Vessel Hijacked

CNN reports that Pentagon has announced that the crew has retaken control of the vessel (Maersk won't confirm at this time). One pirate in custody and three "Attempted to escape", whatever that means.

56 rude

Banned

CNN reports that Pentagon has announced that the crew has retaken control of the vessel (Maersk won't confirm at this time). One pirate in custody and three "Attempted to escape", whatever that means.
hopefully shot while attempting to escape!

aspeck

Staff member

So, what is the latest, angus ... we are waiting to hear the real story, not the news media spin ... Did the US boys put a hurtin' on the Somoli Pirates?

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

yea, kill 3 of them, and leave one to tell the story to the other pirates of what happens when you get caught.

angus63

Captain

A VP from Maersk is on campus today for a presentation and he is attempting to get the actual event timeline. He confirmed all on board are safe and assumed control of the vessel. The details how this happened are still unclear. I'll let you know when I find out.

46050482.jpg

56 rude

Banned

A VP from Maersk is on campus today for a presentation and he is attempting to get the actual event timeline. He confirmed all on board are safe and assumed control of the vessel. The details how this happened are still unclear. I'll let you know when I find out.

46050482.jpg
one for the good guys!:)

angus63

Captain

The Maersk representative left campus to return to Norfolk. The rumor mill is in full swing and I am getting conflicting info from familiar sources. When the dust settles, I'll post what I can confirm.

angus63

Captain

There are rumors that the skipper is being held hostage, but noone can confirm .

aspeck

Staff member

Thanks ... we are waiting!

angus63

Captain

The wire is reporting the skipper and three hijackers are drifting near the vessel. While the situation is in flux we were asked not to contact and overwhelm sources. Any info I have is thru our PR and training office. Until things settle down, tune into the news for the latest. I should have some info tomorrow.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Same article above states the crews are trained in anti-pirating techniques as well as small arms training..but to quote the same article....

Somali pirates are trained fighters who frequently dress in military fatigues and use speedboats equipped with satellite phones and GPS equipment. They are typically armed with automatic weapons, anti-tank rocket launchers and various types of grenades. Far out to sea, their speedboats operate from larger mother ships.

Now, with that type of para-military ordinance, I say arm the freighter, deck mounted 20mm cannons, ICBMS, whatever it takes to blow that scum outta the water..My grandfather was a Merchant Marine and sailed before and during WW2..I picture gramps wishing he had his finger on a big 50 cal

BWR1953

Vice Admiral

Foxnews announced that there is now a USN security team on board the Maersk Alabama and that the vessel is secure but not yet underway.

The captain is apparently still being held hostage by the pirates on a life raft.

Seems to me to be a good exercise for a SEAL team to yank all occupants off the raft in the middle of the night. :D

angus63

Captain

The only thing I can add so far is my respect for the skipper's actions to spare his crew if the reports are accurate. There is a blockade on info this morning other than what is reported on the news wires.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

There are a lot of situations where US military capability appears really limited and inneffective ....due to the handcuffs of diplomacy and a concern for world opinion.
Given the wonderfully clear-cut optics in this situation, I would think that it is open-season on these scumbags. This could get interesting and fun to watch.

Seems to me to be a good exercise for a SEAL team to yank all occupants off the raft in the middle of the night. :D

A betting man might be prepared to place a small wager on tomorrow's headlines having a story about just that.
Although if I was planning the exercise, they would just rescue the Captain, and recover the raft....leave the 3 pirates right where they are.....they can walk home :D

angus63

Captain

This evenings ABC national news @ 1830hrs is featuring interviews conducted today at the United States Merchant Marine Academy (Kings Point, NY) regarding Maritime security. My Dept. head and several colleagues were engaged. I was underway all day on our training vessel and missed the activity. We received an email from CAPT Rich Phillips family and the situation has not changed as of about noon today. My thoughts are with him and his family.

angus63

Captain

"I am advocating that the US takes action to squelch the rise in piracy globally before US citizens and ships fall helplessly victim to the current plague." - Dec 4 2008 Angus63 iboats dockside chat

aspeck

Staff member

I am advocating that the Us do whatever it takes to save the life of Capt. Phillips, then forget everything they negotiated and blow those sorry excuses for human beings clean out of the water. I am sure Maersk will not mind losing a life boat ...

Teach them a lesson once and for all.

I heard the thieves were working from a ship. Why not just follow them to the ship and then give it a torpedo..........