Can I use a switch rated 125VAC on my boat ?

Zudko

Cadet
Hi,

This may be a stupid question for those with electrical knowledge, but here is my concern...

I want to install switches for multiple accessories and gauges on my boat. A friend of mine has a box of switches he told me he uses on his race car since they are the most reliable and resistant. He gave me 10 ON/OFF and 3 ON/OFF/ON switches.

I later took a look at the switches and found the inscription "10A - 125VAC" on them. I admit they appear "heavy duty" compared to the 12V toggle switches found at my local electronic shop and I would like to use them (see attachment for picture and details...)

Taking into consideration he installed them on his race car, I assume I can use them on my boat. The fact they are rated for 125VAC kind of worries me...

Question: Can I use them or should I puchase 12V switches from my local shop even though they do not appears as "heavy-duty" ?

Thanks,

Zudko

Attachments

• Switch.JPG
    Switch.JPG
    17 KB · Views: 0

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Can I use a switch rated 125VAC on my boat ?

Voltage ratings on switches indicate how much voltage it would take to arc across the switches internally. Current ratings tell how much current the switch can carry without overheating.

If you want to switch 12v at less than 10 amps you are in good shape.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The only issue is whether or not the switches are water proof. Out of curiosity I need to ask why you want switch your gauges with a toggle switch. Gauges should be switched with the ignition key so when it's off, the gauges are off. You don't have a separate switch for the gauges in your car and the same logic applies here. Switches are to control accessories. You can certainly manually switch the gauges but it means adding another switch., another point of failure, and more work as well as a great opportunity to leave them on accidentally..

Zudko

Cadet

JB --> Thanks for this info :)

Silvertip --> At this time, I plan to use only one temp gauge but having two sensors connected to it (one on each head). I also plan to use only one voltmeter gauge for monitoring the starter/accesories battery and the electric motor battery.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

OK -- that's why I asked.