Water spraying on deck from prop???

Little Rockstar

Recruit
There is a stream of water shooting from the center of the boat while running...this stream is about half the size of what comes out of a hose...it tries to shoot up towards the seats but the wind catches it and blows it all over my deck lid. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

DukesFin

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Water spraying on deck from prop???

You are going to need to give a LOT more information...
What kind of boat?
What kind of motor?
What kind of drive?
Where is the water coming from?

Read this: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=220416

You'll find that you get a lot of help, if you post the questions you have in such a way that people will know what you're talking about!

Little Rockstar

Recruit

Sorry about that sir....I have a 1989 Baja Sunsport with a 4.3 Mercruiser in it. Alpha one Outdrive (not sure which generation). I am not exactly sure where the water is coming from that is the problem. When I plane out there is a stream of water that comes right from the center of the transom somewhere around the outdrive and shoots up on my rear deck lid. It will completely soak the deck lid and causes water to get into the motor compartment also. This is not a small stream of water, probably a half to a quarter of what sprays out of a hose.

DukesFin

Chief Petty Officer

I'd have someone look for me, or drive for me while I looked to see exactly where the stream of water is coming from.

It could be a swim ladder on the transom, it could be many things. Without knowing exactly where the water is coming from, it's hard to tell you anything that might help.

So, the water is coming from behind the transom (outside) and dead-center? Does trimming the drive change the water stream at all?

I really think you need to actually see where the stream of water is originating from to get help. Someone else may know of this, but I've never heard this question posed before. Sounds odd yet interesting!

I'm picturing the stream of water that jet skis have on your I/O set up and if it's like that, something is certainly wrong!

JustJason

Vice Admiral

sounds like you may have a pinhole/split in the water hose between gimbal housing and the outer transom plate.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Do the '89 Alpha's have the speedometer pitot built in to the OD? The spray could be from that. Alternatively, it could be from the hull mounted Pitot or a transducer. It could also be from a ladder or something else hanging into the water, as was suggested.

jclarke2899

Seaman

I have noticed the same problem in my 1998 Four Winns with the Volvo Penta 5.0 GL and the Cobra SX Outdrive. I understand I have a completely different setup, but one thing I've noticed is if I have the outdrive trimmed all the way down, it does it worse. When I trim it up some, the condition will completely disappear, leaving my rear passengers nice and dry.

boat1010

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Do you have a transducer on the back of the boat? I would look carefully at the back of the boat when it is out of the water. Look and see if you can see something that might be giving you the problem.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

check the cavitation plate to see if someone has drilled holes in it. A cut tube for the speedometer could also do it. Try disconnecting the tube from the speedometer pickup.

bigbob_FTW

Petty Officer 1st Class

does it do the same running on muffs?

Bry21317

Chief Petty Officer

I had this happen from a Transducer for my Fish Finder on one boat. I would give the rear a good look as stated above for sure. You will beable to see what is doin it, my transducer would do it, but it was pushed up at an angle on accident.

Bryan

Little Rockstar

Recruit

I have found some info that stabilizing fins can cause my problem. Speedo is located towards the right side.....ladder is on the left side and depth finder is inside the boat...there is nothing in this area but the outdrive...local boat dealer told me to take the stabilizer fin off but my little 17ft'rt will probably ride like hell without it.....I also noticed that trimming up higher does seem to kill it some but when I pass a barge Im going airborn lol

cooter2506

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Is the fin bent in the front causing water to come up? I would run it with out the fin as a test anyway. But if it does it with the muffs on it could be water hose from the impeller.