Elgin motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dresgirl

Recruit
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

serial #751 31240. model #571 58751:Can anyone tell me anything about this outboard motor, trying to find out all I can about it, the person trying to sell it can't tell me anything about it. All he can say is that it turns freely and has compression.

Ned L

Commander
Re: Elgin motor

I don't have my information here, but just by being an Elgin it can't be newer than maybe the early 1960's. May still be a good outboard, they built lots of them & they had a good reputation. Their small aircooled engines (about 2hp) were built by West Bend & also sold under the Sears name.

dresgirl

Recruit

Thanks for that information, if you can tell me where I can find more or can share more when you get to your information it would be deeply appreciated.

CATransplant

Admiral

OK, That's a 1951 7.5 hp, 2-cylinder made by West Bend.

Parts are going to be really tough on one that old, and your best bet will be at www.aomci.org, where they have an Ask a Member forum and free classified ads.

You're looking at what is a collector outboard, not of much value. As a working outboard, you'd be well-advised to look elsewhere.

You don't say what you have in mind for it, what they're asking for it, or much else. You're talking about a 58-year-old outboard made by a defunct company. Beware.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

This post belongs in Other brand outboards. That's okay, it is duplicated there.

Status
Not open for further replies.