Fuel line help

Sanssord

Recruit
Hello -

I just got a 1978 Glastron from my Father-in-law. It has a Mercruiser 165 (in-line 6) that appears to be in pretty good shape. I'm not a gear-head, but not scared of getting my hands dirty and figuring it out, either.

My question is about a hose that is not connected. I have a rubber hose (maybe 3/8" dia.) connected at the bottom of the fuel pump going up over the engine towards the carburetor. It looks like it used to connect to a very small valve on the top of the carb, but it's too short (looks like it shrunk a few inches). I have located the hose going from the gas tank to the fuel pump, and the steel fuel line going from the pump to the carb. I've dug through my SELOC shop manual, but I can't seem to locate any info on what this tube may be.

Can anyone tell me what it is and if I need to replace it?

Thanks.

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Fuel line help

I mabe wrong but that hose should connect to a fitting @ the top of the carbs air horn. It will help you indicate weather the fuel pump is shot when fuel is present in this tube?. Others will surly chime in if I.m incorrect or will give a better diagnosis. I'm not familiar w/ the marine inline 6. Welcome aboard and good luck. Go to the stickies @ the top of this forum and search and download the free manual to you engine courtesy of the Don.

ziggy

Admiral

i think ff is right on. probably the sight tube, especially if it's a clear tube. any evidence of fuel in this sight tube is indication of fuel pump diaphram failure.
one end on the fuel pump. the other end on the top of the carb. best of my knowledge... agree with ff on getting yourself the real manual too from the adults only sticky at the top of the i/o fourm. go to #9. for a 78 ya'd want #3 and #4 for the drive.. confirm proper s/m by serial number after ya get them downloaded too...

welcome from over in lincoln too...

Sanssord

Recruit

Thanks guys. I'll take a look at the online manual this evening. I assume that I can just replace this with a length of PVC tubing from an auto parts store?

Ziggy - I plan on boating Branched Oak at some point this summer, once I get the cobwebs blown out. I've camped there several times, but I'm looking forward to getting out on the water.

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

I would only use fuel compatable clear hose and or tubing