Riser to Manifold Leak 4.3 Alpha1 Gen2

Grant Brown

Petty Officer 1st Class
I took my new to me 1993 4.3 Alpha1 G2 out for a good run yesterday. When I got home and was cleaning up, I noticed that there was evidence of salt water leaking from the joints where the risers attach to the manifolds. There was white salt residue that was obviously dried sea water on the manifold. The port side had more than the starboard and while neither was really bad, I'd hate to mess up my new motor in some way like hydro-lock it or something.

My buddy said to not worry about it but I'm thinking that I ought to replace the gaskets at the very least.

Any advise?

Grant Brown
Vancouver, BC

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Riser to Manifold Leak 4.3 Alpha1 Gen2

Agreed, replace the gaskets. If you want a quick fix until new gaskets arrive, you can buy a roll of cork at your local auto parts store (hunt for it in the store if they say they don't stock it, as it is a rarely purchased item and most stores forget it exists), then you just cut to the form of the old gasket and use it. One roll will make a good 5-6 riser gaskets. That stuff has saved me many times for hard to find gaskets.

coastalcruiser

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Riser to Manifold Leak 4.3 Alpha1 Gen2

if those manifold/risers are original used in salt no doubt they are suspect it's easy to check.
that leaking can let water in the engine causing hydrolock.
post a few photos if you like.