Knucklehead

artificialreef

Chief Petty Officer
Hi Don and Bondo, you were right I did have to come back. I am still playing with these twin 470's everybody hates. I got them real cheap strapped to a 26.5 Tiara. I did a compression test before I bought. First motor 145lbs all 4 cylinders. Second motor 135lbs all 4 cylinders. The second motor looked older. Reportedly they havent been started in 3 years. Any how. When I got it home I changed the oil and fuel filter. Changed the plugs and dripped a little oil into the chamber before putting the plugs in. (Used an external gas tank) Motor number 1 started (I used muffs) and seemed to run ok. Motor number 2 wouldnt start so I bought new wires, cap, rotor, and points. Gapped them at the spec the manual says and after I finished putting that together I noticed the motor running had a diff firing order than the one I just tuned up. I tried to start number 2 and after playing with the dist got it running but not good. Now I have 2 identical motors running with different timing. I set up number 2 according to the manual and it doesnt really run great. Its not the delco distributor that has the number 1 post id. Can anyone tell me where the #1 post is on a nondelco dist before I grenade these things? I know the proper way to figure this out is to align the timing marks but I would have to take the motors out to take the timing cover off. Would hate to have to do that if there is an easier way to find the correct timing. Would help if someone could post a pic of their 470 with the spark plug wires visible. I also have read you can put a dist. in anyway you want as long as it points at the number 1 post on TDC. But here I am again, dont even know where the number 1 post is on a nondelco? In advance thank you for your help. And Don and Bondo. You were right, these motors arent for everyone, but I still think they are little torque monsters that with the right care can be little beasts. Boat on!

45Auto

Commander
Re: Knucklehead

Any post on the distributor can be #1. Doesn't matter. Get the #1 cylinder on TDC on the compression stroke (if you can't see the marks, put your finger over the plug hole and turn the motor over till you feel it building compression. Then stick a wire, screwdriver, etc in the hole and jiggle the engine till the piston is as high as it will go) Turn the distributor till the rotor is pointed at a post. That post is now #1. Make SURE the plug wires are on the distributor in the right direction. If the direction is wrong, #1 and #4 will still be firing correctly but #2 and #3 will be firing on the exhaust stroke. The engine will run, but VERY poorly.

Is #2 a reverse-rotation engine? If so, does the rotor turn in the OPPOSITE direction on a reverse rotation motor? Does the direction of the plug wires need to be reversed also? Not sure here, no experience with a reverse rotation motor.

artificialreef

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Knucklehead

Thank you very much 45. I bet I have one running on the exhaust stroke and the other one I will check.