Oil Injection Removal 1995 Merc XRI 150

BassFish

Cadet
I have a 1995 Mercury Outboard 2.5L XRI serial #: OG147409. The plastic gear inside the block that turns the oil pump has stripped and I need to convert this engine to premix. Are there any kits available to do so or what will I need to get? Also, what can be done about the warning module to silence the oil alarm?

Thanks

James P

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Oil Injection Removal 1995 Merc XRI 150

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/mercuryOilInjection.html

I'm no expert so I don't know what all might be involved with the plastic inside the engine. I do know that in my 2001 150 hp Mercury I had to put a dummy driven gear in place of my steel gear to keep a bushing in place. This part costs about $8. To stop the alarm the correct way is to disconnect a certain wire. I just basically tied "up" the magnetic float in the oil tank on the motor with teflon tape. There are other tubes to disconnect and plug and also it's best to make the fuel line "in line" so as to not still be connected with the oil lines but I can't put it into words. I'm sorry about that but it's pretty simple once you start following the lines.

Hopefully this link will get you started.

Greybeard51

Recruit

I have a 1997 SportJet 175xr2 in a Sugar Sand Tango purchased off an open storage facility, on blocks 2 yrs. A prior owner had totally removed the remote oil tank and all hoses to include the cap on the engine tank. I was told he ran pre-mix in the main gas tank, bypassing the injector system. I did not know if this was practical, long term, so thought to buy a used remote tank system replacement. Your post makes me think the original problem may also be the oil pump gear. How can I test or verify that? Is it a sight inspection with a bright penlight after removing the oil pump? If a stripped gear is found, that is a deep engine repair, right? Therefore I should forget the oil tank system rebuild and just premix forever? What are the long term effects, if any? (other than the gum likely blocking the carbs and in the 1/2 full tank of 2 year old gas that will be h... to pump out and clean). If all gas goes 10% ethanol, will the marine additives to combat the ethanol be diminished by the oil? Anything will be helpful.

Greybeard51

BassFish

Cadet

With having everything hooked up I guess the easiest way to check the gear would be to remove the two bolts holding the oil pump on. Remove sparkplugs to make it easy to turn engine by hand. Turn engine and watch the bearing for the oil pump (with the flat hole cut in it) to see if it turns. You may need to hold the bearing in with your other hand so that it does not try to come out as you turn the engine. You can also remove the plastic bearing and the driven gear and look inside with a pen light.
As far as oil gumming up the carbs, this can be avoided by completely draining the carbs during extended storage (ie winter). Hope this helps.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

You can silence the alarm by disconnecting the 2 blue wires going to the oil tank.

BassFish

Cadet

I don't think you can silence the alarm by disconnecting the 2 blue wires going to the oil tank if the alarm is being caused by the oil pump rotation sensor. I am wondering how to silence it for that.

Thanks