Help identify this motor please [pics]

Uncle Rico

Cadet
I posted thinking it was a Tecumseh and it might be, but I've scoured the internet looking for info or a way to I.D. it to no avail.....so maybe pics would help.

Its been painted, but looks to originally be off white/beige. Styling looks late 40's to 50's. Only pic I found looking close to it was an old Lauson....the skeg and lower look similar. Air cooled single with lever on left side [stop/slow/fast/choke], carrying handle on top.

I'm stumped. Thought it was Tecumseh as it had an owners manual...possibly miss matched.

TYIA for help.

Attachments

• tec4.jpg
    tec4.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 0
  • tec1.jpg
    tec1.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 0
  • tec2.jpg
    tec2.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 0
  • tec3.jpg
    tec3.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 0

Uncle Rico

Cadet
Re: Help identify this motor please [pics]

I scaped of some paint w/my fingernail under what appears to be a cover for carb float.......LAUSON-POWER PRODUCTS GRAFTON, WIS. MADE IN U.S.A.

The tag has T-629-14 followed by these numbers below 3641008. From looking at the info on discountmarine/lauson the model/serial numbers dont match up. The T has me confused cuz it doesn't look like its a TWIN. Haven't seen many pics of either Lausons or Tecumseh on the web either.

Like I said it looks older then 1957 to me, but I'm a newbie. Maybe the cover was replacement part. ANY IDEAS.:)

Uncle Rico

Cadet

Forgot to mention it was sold by Aikenheads hardware in Toronto, Canada.

Discountmarine site states Tecumseh built the powerheads for Eska and Clinton which were sold to department/hardware stores.....maybe close.

CATransplant

Admiral

The T stands for Tecumseh. There were a lot of different brand name outboards with Tecumseh engines on them. I did some looking over at Discount Marine Parts, but didn't encounter that number. I didn't go through all of them, though.

Yours looks like a 50s style, but I don't know.

Uncle Rico

Cadet

Thanks for the effort. I did go thru them all and didn't find a match.....but did conclude Eska, Clinton, were sold to hardware stores under their brand names and this one appears to be retailed at Toronto's oldest operating hardware store.

I've invested too much time in just looking for the model/year.....LOL.

Thanks.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

But now that I see your pix, doesn't look like any Lauson I've seen...but who knows, I haven't seen them all. Let us know what you find out.

CATransplant

Admiral

That number on the engine is a Tecumseh-style engine number. Lauson also used a similar numbering system, and Tecumseh bought Lauson. Very confusing.

Still, I couldn't find that number in my searches, so it's still a mystery.

The thing might be somewhere in the transitional period when Lauson and Tecumseh were separate companies. I just don't know. It's an oddball for sure.

fred66762

Recruit

first off..i know that this thread is over 2 years old..just hope that someone is still looking at it...i just bought a motor thats looks a lot like this one...help me what is it

Uncle Rico

Cadet

Been a while since being here.

My understanding is it was in the transitional year as stated. But, the numbering system isn't very well documented for Canadian motors. It did come with an owners manual, again possibly the CDN version. Who knows....I still love it.

Hoping to be online a bit more as I've just picked up a 12' 1957 PrinceCraft with a 35 Johnson Super Seahorse. I was told it was also a'57. BUT, THIS GREAT SITE SO FULL OF KNOWLEDGE HAS ME CONVINCED ITS A '59. Always appreciate the info.

cya soon.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

When I used what looks like that powerhead in my racing karts in the late 50s-early 60s it was called Power Products model AH-47 (4.7 ci) engine and I got mine off of Sears (David Bradley) chainsaws. I did later see some called Tecumseh and even later Lauson, though the Lauson name was usually applied to lawnmower, sleeve bearing 3HP engines. The chainsaw version was all "frictionless" bearings.

FWIW, the engine was rated at 5HP @3600rpm in the chainsaw version, but could be highly modified to turn 12-14,000rpm and develop big HP running on nitro/methanol. Collected many trophys with that engine vs 6ci engines.