Model question? Lightwin,Ducktwin, Yachtwin

fat boy

Cadet
To those in the know, kindly explain the difference between a Lightwin, a Ducktwin and a Yachtwin. Do these reference only Evinrude or do they also apply to Johnson? I can understand the twin for twin cylinders.

Thanks in advance,

Fat Boy

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Model question? Lightwin,Ducktwin, Yachtwin

they are marketing names really, the yacht twin was usually a long or extra long shaft.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

the yacht twin was usually a long or extra long shaft

Other differences too depending on model and year.

Low pitch high thrust prop.

Special extension on leg with exhaust outlets so that the prop can be deeper without increasing the back-pressure.

rectifier as standard.

Clamp on throttle grip (some models but not unfortunately mine!)

TN-25

Chief Petty Officer

Back in the 1960s & 70s, the nomenclature meant the following:

Yachtwin had a prop shaft that ran 90 degrees to the drive shaft, meaning the propeller was pushing water straight back horizontally, giving the highest thrust.

The Lightwin was the weedless model that had the prop aimed down about 20 degrees from horizontal. Combine that with the angled skeg and it was pretty good at keeping weeds from fouling the prop (they really work, I can say that from first hand experience).

The Ducktwin was just the weedless Lightwin painted in camouflage olive drab, perfect for duck hunters.

Evinrude stopped the practice of giving names to every outboard model after 1974.

Later year Yachtwins (1980s+ era, perhaps tail end 1970s as well) did indeed have very long shafts. They were purpose-built to be used as auxilliary power for sailboats and sloops. Johnson called their corresponding motor the Sailmaster.

fat boy

Cadet

Thanks for your response.

Fat Boy