mariner motors

Brad S

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am researching motors for my 16' valco bayrunner. I have found a couple of mariner motors in the 30-40 hp range which is the range I am looking for. Are there any inherent problems with these motors i should know about? Any insight wuold be appreciated
Thanks

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander
Re: mariner motors

With the exception of some of the very very early models 1978-1980 or so, they were made by both Yamaha and or Mercury Marine.

I've had a couple and have noticed nothing negative about those.

matt9923

Chief Petty Officer

I just got a mariner 40hp and took it for a ride yesterday. My mechanic said Yamaha built most of the smaller motors of around this time and used mariner as a test Ginny pig encase they sucked they wouldn't hurt the Yamaha name. I Have not had more then 20min to test it but i liked it. He came over and got it going for me and brought a parts motor and gave me all the electrical parts coil, cdi and some harness parts as well as an extra prop so i should be good besides any mechanical problems. (Yamaha makes a great motor)
Matt

sschefer

Rear Admiral

I have a 1991 100hp Mariner that was made in the Belgum plant. I can't tell if it's a Merc or a Yami and no one seems be able to tell by the serial number either. Who care's at this point, if it's still runnin after 18 years, it's a danged good engine. :D

The bottom line is that there is probably no difference between a Mariner and a Mercury except the covers and the color.

matt9923

Chief Petty Officer

I have a 1991 100hp Mariner that was made in the Belgum plant. I can't tell if it's a Merc or a Yami and no one seems be able to tell by the serial number either. Who care's at this point, if it's still runnin after 18 years, it's a danged good engine. :D

The bottom line is that there is probably no difference between a Mariner and a Mercury except the covers and the color.

Most likely its a mercury. Yami made more of the smaller motors like under 50hp i think. And Yamaha is made in japan like my mariner. This is int concrete but i'm 95% sure yours is a mercury. And yes your right its is a dam good motor.
Matt